Dead spacebar - anyone else having this problem?

Skeletor

Sep 12, 2007
Earlier this week my iPhone seemed to get a dead zone on the screen. It seems to be in the lower section - right on top of where the space bar runs across. Anyway, they are sending me a replacement and I have to send this one in to get it fixed. I've reset it back factory settings and all that. I have never modded / jailbreak'd it.

I was just curious if anyone had this problem, and if it was a hardware issue? I imagine it is (that is what the phone tech thought at Apple) I thought it was a dead zone, but there are a few applications that still seem to detect finger presses, which makes me wonder if it could be a software issue. I can load up the browser and press the buttons for bookmarks, favorite, etc. When I bring up the virtual keyboard (or SMS), it doesn't detect any key presses.

Just odd. I'm sure they'll get it fixed. I was mainly curious if this happened to anyone here, and if it was indeed a hardware issue.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Dead touchscreen strips are a well known failure.

Apple has never said what causes it, although it seems to often happen after a fall.

Question: what's the age of your phone? When did you get it? Most dead strips seem to be from the first few batches.