Decided to Sell G2

jsskateboarder

Bronze
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
So I have finally come to a conclusion that once the 32GB iPhone 3G is released, I will be putting my iPhone 2G on Ebay. I noticed that they were still going to a very pretty price. I just wanted to ask your guys for some advice on what to make sure I do to my phone before I ship it off to a buyer. Obviously I will restore it to factory settings using my MAC, but should I remove and keep the SIM card? Or just send that off as well? I will be buying a iPhone 3G brand new, so I will be getting a new SIM card. Anything else I should be aware of doing?

josmi

Bronze
Jan 6, 2009
Keep your sim card. Send in the new unactivated one. That way, you don't have to call your service provider up, activate the sim card and go through that process. Instead, you just pop in your old sim card you'll be all set to go. :p

jsskateboarder

Bronze
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
Keep your sim card. Send in the new unactivated one. That way, you don't have to call your service provider up, activate the sim card and go through that process. Instead, you just pop in your old sim card you'll be all set to go. :p
Does the 2G iPhones have a 3G capable SIM card in it...? Wouldn't I have to get a whole new data plan anyway?

josmi

Bronze
Jan 6, 2009
Aren't all sim cards the same? Or maybe I just don't understand your question..

jsskateboarder

Bronze
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
Aren't all sim cards the same? Or maybe I just don't understand your question..
I think you're right. But nonetheless, don't you have to create a new data plan for the 3G? Or can you bypass all of that, just by keeping your SIM card?

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I'm just wondering why you are already making plans to sell the thing when there has been no announcement of a 32gig phone?

jsskateboarder

Bronze
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
Absolutely remove and keep your old sim. When I sold my V1 to get the 3G, I destroyed the old sim and threw it in the trash.
You just told me to keep it, yet... You destroyed yours... I'm so confused :sick:

MrFats

Sep 7, 2007
I think you're right. But nonetheless, don't you have to create a new data plan for the 3G? Or can you bypass all of that, just by keeping your SIM card?
For starters you can definitely use the same SIM card. I just switched from the 2G to the 3G today and all i did was back up my 2G, swap the SIM card, Restore all my information and it is working great...so far. And to activate your 3G all you have to do is go to settings, general, network, and select "Enable 3G" and it will work....i only know b/c i just did it.

jsskateboarder

Bronze
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
For starters you can definitely use the same SIM card. I just switched from the 2G to the 3G today and all i did was back up my 2G, swap the SIM card, Restore all my information and it is working great...so far. And to activate your 3G all you have to do is go to settings, general, network, and select "Enable 3G" and it will work....i only know b/c i just did it.
Wow thanks.. That seems so easy. Aren't the data plans different though? Isn't that kind of like... Stealing?

MrFats

Sep 7, 2007
I'm sure you pay for it but you don't have to do anything but enable the 3G. Again I just did it so I'm also not sure but I was on the 3G.

jsskateboarder

Bronze
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
I'm sure you pay for it but you don't have to do anything but enable the 3G. Again I just did it so I'm also not sure but I was on the 3G.
What data plan were / are you on with your 2G iPhone? That has apparently carried over to your 3G?