decreased battery life.

aj2008

Aug 11, 2008
anybody experience less battery life since 2.1? I used to get 6 hours usage now I am down to half that. I am wondering if there is something running in the background that shouldn't be. I have tried a reboot and even reset all settings. I've noticed it gets a little warmer than it used to at the back at times. Any ideas?

carrera.owner

Bronze
Aug 31, 2008
Long Island, NY
That's strange, as the overwhelming majority are seeing improved lifetimes.
A couple of thoughts:

> Are you pulling (fetching) your mail? if so, how often? Set this to a lower duty cycle (i.e., 60 minutes instead of 15 minutes) if you can afford to.
> turn off Location Services (Setting/General). It's used by some apps to 'locate' where you're at and feed that back to the app. I think it is turned on by default, but I'm not sure.
> make sure Bluetooth is off (if you're not using it).

I'm sure others will have add'l suggestions.

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
A lot of battery life depends on how you are using the phone. If you were getting 6hrs of usages and now getting 4 and are using the phone exactly the same way something sounds wrong. Keep one thing in mind, since 2.1 a ton of people have been lured over to use 3g over edge. This is simply because the 3g service actually seems to work since 2.1. The 3g usage ratings on the phone for talk time is about 40% less than the talk time ratings for edge. If you are now using 3g over edge and most of your usage time is talk time this alone could be a big part of your battery life difference. Also you might want to try to recalibrate your battery meter to make sure your battery read out is accurate.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
go over to the software forum and search for this topic. There are several people with the same problem, myself included. There is an article about it in iPhoneatlas. I have tried all the hints suggested plus have restored. Nothing seems to work. My suggestion would be to turn email to manually check. I did not have these problems until 2.1

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I get about 5 hours of usage with 2.1

JSchu22

Jul 3, 2007
I too feel as though my battery life has decreased, although I don't have any facts to back it up yet. While the suggestions to improve performance are appreciated, these shouldn't be necessary if you weren't doing them prior to the decreased in battery life.

aj2008

Aug 11, 2008
I discovered that push was selected in the advanced setting of the push/fetch menu. Got 6 hours usage and was down to 10 percent. Most of this usage would have been browsing with wifi. Some talk time with Bluetooth also.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
Through all the updates, I've never really noticed any significant battery change. I know that isn't too helpful, but i thought i'd point it out.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I also thought that the 2.1 firmware significantly affected my battery life as well. I have a couple games, and the rest is browsing and manually checking mail- and of course music.
Normally without the games except Crash Nitro Kart, I could easily go 8 hours of usage. After 2.1, I was around 4-4.5 at best. I admit that I was playing games more, and they definitely hit on the battery, but I only use them for maybe a total of 30 minutes a day tops. Crash Kart doesn't seem to eat the battery nearly as fast as other games.
Anyway, I was so unhappy with my battery life, I downgraded back to 2.0.2 since I was very happy there before. Did it solve anything? No. In fact I was experiencing all the problems that everyone else complained about initially. Plus, the baseband stay at the latest version.
So I said screw it. If I am going to have bad battery life, I might as well have it in a stable OS, and updated back to 2.1.
Strangely enough, my battery life seems to be back- so far.
While I normally wouldn't encourage anyone to downgrade just to go back up, I can say that my problems seem to be solved.

I guess the question I want to know is, if you upgraded to 2.1 and have a seemingly worse battery consumption, how were you in 2.0.2?
If you were fine before and the upgrade did you in, I suggest downgrading back to 2.0.2, run it for a day, and then upgrade again and see if things get any better.
Some of you will probably enjoy having 2.0.2 back on your phone. the rest will probably experience all the bugs and hiccups that everyone else was experiencing. you are the ones that should upgrade again and see if things get better.

And to answer the question, " how?" connect to iTunes, and prepare to either kiss everything goodbye (or you can back it up).
Not sure how it works on a MAC, but on a PC, hold down the left shift key and then hit restore. Browse to the ipsw file for 2.0.2 and update. this will downgrade your firmware- but not the baseband. If you are lucky, when it;s over you might be able to pick an old restore point prior to the 2.1 update. It would be the one right before 9/8/08, or whenever you did the first update.
And yes, I did this in iTunes 8, or as I like to call it- sLowTunes. (friggin program takes a friggin month to open)

JFN

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Nor Cal
Sorry mine seems to be better. I have found that exiting the current application prior to putting to sleep makes a huge difference.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
I turned my mail to manual and things have been much better. I decided to try push for exchange account and fetch for my gmail. The problems resurfaced. The usage meter continued to grow while phone was supposedly asleep. The battery began to drain. The only way to stop it was to change back to manual email and then do a hard reboot. I live push email so this bugs the crap out of me

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I'm having sporadic problems with the battery life on my 3G running 2.1. It's only happened 2 or 3 times since I updated to 2.1, so it's not too bad, but still annoying. On those occasions, I've noticed that the back of my iPhone will get pretty warm and the battery will drain very quickly, as if it's running something in the background constantly. It's been so bad that I've gotten the 10% battery warning between leaving home in the morning with a full charge and the time I got to work, a matter of 2 hours or so (I have a long commute). I caught it happening today and re-booted the phone, which seemed to stop it. Luckily, I keep a charger at work.

I checked the Apple forums as well, and it seems like it's a push email issue. I'd hate to turn this off since I paid for MobileMe and I want my money's worth out of it, but I may just do this until the next firmware update to avoid having my iPhone die on me during the day if I miss the warning signs.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
I'm having sporadic problems with the battery life on my 3G running 2.1. It's only happened 2 or 3 times since I updated to 2.1, so it's not too bad, but still annoying. On those occasions, I've noticed that the back of my iPhone will get pretty warm and the battery will drain very quickly, as if it's running something in the background constantly. It's been so bad that I've gotten the 10% battery warning between leaving home in the morning with a full charge and the time I got to work, a matter of 2 hours or so (I have a long commute). I caught it happening today and re-booted the phone, which seemed to stop it. Luckily, I keep a charger at work.

I checked the Apple forums as well, and it seems like it's a push email issue. I'd hate to turn this off since I paid for MobileMe and I want my money's worth out of it, but I may just do this until the next firmware update to avoid having my iPhone die on me during the day if I miss the warning signs.
This is exactly what has happened to me. Take a look at your usage meter when this starts to happen. It will continue to grow even when you put the phone to sleep. The only thing that seems to stop it is a hard reboot. I am pretty sure it has something to do with push or fetch. I have tried turning push back on and the problem returns. Using manual fetch has worked for me. I wonder what kind of damage this rapid battery drain will do to the battery in the long run. I hope people will contact Apple and let them know they are having this problem. It really needs to be addressed.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I think it's more just a processor problem. There seems to be a greater call on the processor than before. Apps I had in 2.0.2 and were fine now draw as much as 5-10% battery for about 15 minutes of play.
I remember when they updated the processors speed back in one of the 1.1.X updates, and I am willing to bet that it's likely it's the same thing.
Also, I am guessing that the RAM is getting max'd out as well, which explains why people are still experiencing "hesitation" when launching an app.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
I think it's more just a processor problem. There seems to be a greater call on the processor than before. Apps I had in 2.0.2 and were fine now draw as much as 5-10% battery for about 15 minutes of play.
I remember when they updated the processors speed back in one of the 1.1.X updates, and I am willing to bet that it's likely it's the same thing.
Also, I am guessing that the RAM is getting max'd out as well, which explains why people are still experiencing "hesitation" when launching an app.
Are you having the same problem where your battery rapidly drops and the phone heats up? Does your usage meter grow when you are not using your phone? When this happens to me, my battery will drain in a matter of a couple hours. I am just wondering if you are experiencing the same thing I am or if you are just seeing marginal decrease in battery life

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Are you having the same problem where your battery rapidly drops and the phone heats up? Does your usage meter grow when you are not using your phone? When this happens to me, my battery will drain in a matter of a couple hours. I am just wondering if you are experiencing the same thing I am or if you are just seeing marginal decrease in battery life
My battery life is marginally decreased when using the phone without my games. It drops like a lead balloon with the games and it heats up. I have noticed that it gets warm when just browsing over wifi too.

JFN

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Nor Cal

This is the same thing that happened to me 1 time and I don't use push anything.

richardya

Silver
Sep 24, 2007
Apple battery is now and has always been a joke.
Pretty much on every product I have owned, the life between charges gets worse and worse and sometimes they just eventually die.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Pretty much on every product I have owned, the life between charges gets worse and worse and sometimes they just eventually die.
This is normal and is not at all specific to Apple products. Batteries don't last forever, and lose the capability to hold a charge over time. If your iPhone's battery is lasting less than the 400 cycles (that's 400 complete cycles of fully charging and then discharging the battery, not partial charges or discharges) that Apple claims, then you should take it in for warranty replacement if it's still covered.