Deep Green - Great Chess game!

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have to be proud - this developer is from my little country called Denmark...:)

Anyway - it's clean and professional!

Check it out here if you're into Chess: Deep Green

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I'll have to check that out.

Richard Lang of "Mephisto" fame also has Chess Genius on the AppStore, so it looks as if some pretty decent chess programmars are gravitating toward the iPhone.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Thanks Picazzo ..what makes this chess game any better than the rest. Chess is chess, aye?
You're welcome! I'm not an expert in these Chess games, but the interface and the graphic on Deep Green are very good-looking and with smooth moves.

It also have some features other Chess games don't have...what I know of..

Take a look at AppShopper, and scroll to "Screenshot" picture no. 5! Deep Green

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Thanks Picazzo ..what makes this chess game any better than the rest. Chess is chess, aye?
Chess programs vary in strength, and are very much dependent on their programmars. The programs have to be compact in size in order to be as fast and efficient as possible, and search algorithms and the amount of chess knowledge make a big difference in playing strength. Of course, the computer the program runs on makes a big difference as well. PCs have made such great strides in power and speed that dedicated chess computers (popular in the 80s and early 90s) can't keep up anymore.

For instance, Richard Lang's Mephisto II chess module, in the 80s, ran at 2 Mhz and was rated at probably about 1200-1300 ELO, while Vasik Rajlich's program, Rybka 3.0, running on an Intel quad-core Q6600 cpu, currently is rated at approximately 3200 ELO on the latest SSDF list. Many grandmasters are having to play Rybka 3.0 with pawn odds (making the program play with only seven pawns) just to get a decent game.