defeats the purpose of quad-band GSM?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Henrico

Jan 12, 2007
Steve Jobs said that the iPhone was a quad-band GSM phone( it can be used overseas with any SIM card). Then he said that for American customers, Cingular was to be the official and exclusive network for iPhone. Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a quad-band GSM phone if it is 'locked' to Cingular?

dblaron

Bronze
Feb 17, 2007
I have done a lot of traveling for work and have used many phones and networks while doing so. I depend on my phone for work and have found the best way to go when it comes to phones. the cost to have a international plan can be a little much. so really the best option is to get a sim card when you get there and use the network that is provided there. with the iPhone you currently will not be able to do so, at least easily. but that does not mean that you can't get the phone unlocked. The US is the only place that really locks there phones. I have taken that approach many times with cingular and told them that due to some laws they really can't keep my phone locked. All you really have to say is that you are traveling and it is not cost effective for you to keep your phone locked and their network is not provided there. really though, we don't know if the phone is fully locked. it could just be locked on the UI, and from other US providers. technology is an amazing thing and they can set up those kinds of preferences.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I have done a lot of traveling for work and have used many phones and networks while doing so. I depend on my phone for work and have found the best way to go when it comes to phones. the cost to have a international plan can be a little much. so really the best option is to get a sim card when you get there and use the network that is provided there. with the iPhone you currently will not be able to do so, at least easily. but that does not mean that you can't get the phone unlocked. The US is the only place that really locks there phones. I have taken that approach many times with cingular and told them that due to some laws they really can't keep my phone locked. All you really have to say is that you are traveling and it is not cost effective for you to keep your phone locked and their network is not provided there. really though, we don't know if the phone is fully locked. it could just be locked on the UI, and from other US providers. technology is an amazing thing and they can set up those kinds of preferences.
Apple has done a really good job in taking something that has traditionally been complex and made it simple for you and me. For example, the way items are purchased on the iTunes store is incredibly easy. Not sure what they will do, but I'd expect Apple to play a part in how the plans work and help make typically complicated plan selections simpler.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
I'm hoping that "exclusive to Cingular" just means that you have to sign on to their plan in order to buy an iPhone. This may be wishful thinking on my part but that doesn't necessarily require that the phone be locked. I'm hoping one of those little things that made the other service providers balk was Apple asking that the phone be unlocked. ...If you just stop and think about Steve Jobs for a moment, don't you think that's something he'd ask of the service provider? I do.

I have my fingers crossed.