Define car usage please?

Jul 2, 2007
So, I'm basically wondering..and apologies that this has probably been asked before..I'm just lazy to sort through and find a thread..unless you have a link to one..about how the iPhone can work in a car...

I have a simple auxiliary jack for an 07 civic that plays my ipod..when i plug in the jack to the iPhone..nothing happens..i got excited thinking i could plug that jack in..make a phone call and hear the other person's voice through my car speakers..kind of like bluetooth handsfree or whatever..

if you can talk on the phone with the headphones, why not in the car?

Thanks

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
So, I'm basically wondering..and apologies that this has probably been asked before..I'm just lazy to sort through and find a thread..unless you have a link to one..about how the iPhone can work in a car...

I have a simple auxiliary jack for an 07 civic that plays my ipod..when i plug in the jack to the iPhone..nothing happens..i got excited thinking i could plug that jack in..make a phone call and hear the other person's voice through my car speakers..kind of like bluetooth handsfree or whatever..

Thanks
Because your car needs a microphone, like the headphones that come with the iPhone.

This is why your auxiliary jack won't work for phone calls.

You can get a bluetooth car kit installed and THEN you'll be able to hear the phone calls through your car speakers and you'll have a microphone to be able to talk back to the person on the other end.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007

Thanks
That AUX input doesn't have a Microphone function built into it, like your iPhone earpiece / headphone jack does. Look at the plug on the end of the iPhone earphones, and compare it with any other regular headphone plug. See the difference?

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Can you not just get an FM transmitter and plug it into the headphone socket?
Again, where's the microphone?

You need to get a BLUETOOTH CAR KIT if you want to do conversations (you know, two ways) hands-free, with the sound coming through your car speakers.

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Sorry, not with you. My current phone - a Nokia N95 - still has the microphone active if the jack socket is being used. Are you saying the iPhone will not let you do this?

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Sorry, not with you. My current phone - a Nokia N95 - still has the microphone active if the jack socket is being used. Are you saying the iPhone will not let you do this?
I have no idea, but since the headphones that come with the iPhone HAVE a microphone built into them, I would think that as long as they are plugged in, the iPhone would prefer to use it. If you switch it to speakerphone, it won't output through the headphone jack, it will use the external mic.

So what you're saying is you can plug you Nokia into your car though and auxiliary output and hear the person talking on a phone call through your speakers, and you can still talk back somehow (without hold the phone up to your head)?

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Yes. The FM transmitter plugs into the jack socket of the N95 and transmits the sound through the tuned in radio channel. The microphone picks up my voice.

So...

I drive along listening to music from the N95 through my radio via a transmitter when the phone goes. All I do is hit 'answer' or pop the slider up and Bob's your uncle. Music fades, phone call in progress, when made I hang up and music comes back in at the point where it was cut off.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Yes. The FM transmitter plugs into the jack socket of the N95 and transmits the sound through the tuned in radio channel. The microphone picks up my voice.

So...

I drive along listening to music from the N95 through my radio via a transmitter when the phone goes. All I do is hit 'answer' or pop the slider up and Bob's your uncle. Music fades, phone call in progress, when made I hang up and music comes back in at the point where it was cut off.
You're not JUST using the auxiliary jack (headphone jack), you're using an FM Transmitter (supposedly) so lets make that clear first. There are different ways to use an FM Transmitter on an iPod/iPhone.

What transmitter? Brand and Model # please?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
You're not JUST using the auxiliary jack (headphone jack), you're using an FM Transmitter (supposedly) so lets make that clear first. There are different ways to use an FM Transmitter on an iPod/iPhone.

Easy there, what he wrote is exactly true, and he certainly was using just and FM transmitter plugged into the headset jack.

And the iPhone works the same way. It doesn't care whether you have an FM transmitter plugged into the headset jack, a patch cable to an audio-in jack on a car radio, or even just using standard ear phones:
Music fades out just like when the proprietary are being used, and the mic can be used to talk to the caller (yes, the caller's voice is played through the car speakers, or standard ear phones). Hang up the call--be it you or the other party--and the music starts back up where it left off. Very cool, actually.

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
The iPhone works the same way, music fades out and all (then returns when the call is complete).

--
Mike

jwhcowan

Jul 5, 2007
iPhone mic works when using tape adaptor

Tinman is correct, I have used this setup:

iPhone connected to a tape adaptor in car stereo. Call comes in, music fades, I answer and talk into the iPhone mic and the caller's voice comes out of the car speakers. I had a similar setup on my K750i, but that had a mic that was connected in line to the tape adaptor.

The problem for me with the above setup is that the callers can hear themselves - I guess there are workarounds like turning the stereo down and placement of the iPhone, but I have not tried them yet. My commute is 10 mins and I carpool nearly every day!

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
You're not JUST using the auxiliary jack (headphone jack), you're using an FM Transmitter
Yes, I believe I mentioned that in my first post in this topic.

(supposedly)
Oh grow up.

so lets make that clear first. There are different ways to use an FM Transmitter on an iPod/iPhone.
And the fact remains that you don't need a Bluetooth set up to use your iPhone through your car radio.

That one. Mine is white though, not orange.

Last edited by a moderator: