Delayed Text Messages

camtheram

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Colorado
Have any of you received delayed text messages? I write a lot of text messages and sometimes it seems like the person's response is a bit lagged. I can be having a conversation with someone and I ask them a question and don't get a response. I then ask them the question again and they reply that they already responded. Usually like 30 minutes later their response finally comes in. Anyone else have this problem? I called AT&T about it but they blamed it on other carriers.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Far as I know most if not all carriers pay someone else to manage the SMS routing such as verisign and syniverse. usually those companys screw something up an causes a lot of sms issues. Usually when theres a a large delay like that is usually due to network congestion somewhere that is sometimes caused by one of these companys having problems. Ive seen where these companys have dumped several carriers routing lists causing all SMS to those carriers to stop working completely. But Im not sure about the larger carriers... I would think AT&T handles their own since they pretty much own everything on their network. ( Wireless towers, Network backbones, etc ). After all far as I can tell ( or what I think ).. AT&T looks as if their trying to get all the ma-Bells back together since they've changed the Anti-trust laws since they were forced to break up. but thats a whole different story..

TomTomTuning

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Camp Hill, PA
I haven't notice this yet on my iPhone but i remember this being a problem when i had Verizon.

Where id get peoples replies once i sent them another message, or id get it delayed (later on)

But so far i haven't had this issue, but then again the main person i text is also on ATT.

I can see this being an issue when texting people on other carriers.

lymn

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
Text messaging and MMS are just kind of tacked onto the cell network with bubblegum and chicken wire... Weird stuff happens all the time because of that.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
correct, usually if there are SMS problems with the SMS provider 99% of the time it only effects inter carrier SMS. MMS is a whole different story, easiest way to explain it, its a sms with a server address telling the device where to retrieve the picture from.