delete mail sound stopped working

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

spud

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
new iPhone noob here.

Purchased the phone last friday.

When i started checking email, i noticed that after i read the email and would hit the trash icon to delete the mail, it would do the visual shrink and look like it was put in the trash can coupled with a sound during the action.

Today when i hit the trash icon, it does the animation but NO sound.

All other sounds work fine. New mail message...sending a message ...etc..

Just don't get the delete mail sound anymore.

Any ideas on how to get the sound back?

Thanks

Alex

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
Strange...I don't recall ever hearing a sound when deleting an email. Nor do I remember hearing about that on this forum or seeing it in the sound or mail preferences. What did it sound like?

spud

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
it was only when deleting the message while reading it in full. Not at the screen where you wipe your finger quickly to the right of the message to then see the delete button.

it is when you are looking at the message in full and then hitting the trash can icon at the bottom of the screen..

hard to explain the sound... kinda like a woosh sound..

*Now i will totally admit to being a total dummy and I am confusing that you hear a delete sound when you delete mail in MS outlook. but i don't think im off my rocker. I really feel like there was a sound associated to deleting an email.

no one else gets a sound?

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
Very interesting. I understand what you mean about when you're reading it in full and tap on the little trash can as opposed to the 'swipe' delete, but I've never had any sound when I do either. I only get the "Whoosh" sound when I send out an email.

Anyone else getting a sound upon deleting email?

spud

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
I get a sound when I delete mail.

When you are reading the mail and you hit the trash cat button?

what sound does it make. Unless you are yanking my chain, i am pretty sure there was a sound associated with deleting a mail message.

Nov 25, 2010
My Delete "Sound" has also quit working

I have owned my phone for about 1.5 weeks. It used to do a 'whoosh' sound when you hit the delete (trash can icon) button and a graphic showing the message being sucked into the trash can would activate at the same time. Suddenly, for no reason the sound has quit working. I miss it!

JayG1974

Feb 23, 2011
i'm here for the same reason. i could have sworn the first couple of days i had the phone it made this sound when deleting (and only when you touch the trashcan - not from the swipe delete.) i think it even did it when deleting a note.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Are you sure it's not simply coinciding with you replying to that email, and the send completing just as you hit the delete button after the compose window slides out of view?

I've had the iPhone since September 2007 and have never known it to have a "delete mail" sound. The whooshing is only used when sending. However, it's probably pretty common to reply to an email and then promptly delete it after replying. Sending it can sometimes take a second or two or ten, depending on the contents and the connection strength, which may happen right as you press that delete button.

greasemuntney

Bronze
Apr 4, 2010
Alabama
My iPhones (3-3g's and 2-3gS's and 1-iPhone 4 has never made the sound when deleting mail. This is very strange that so many people claim that happened to them. Must look into this more.

Side note are any of you running a theme with sounds when this was happening or was it just the normal iOS icons and sound board?