Delete podcasts from iPhone without connecting to iTunes

Imagine09

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Iknow you can delete PodCast (video files) directly from the iPhone...but, is there a way to delete PodCasts (audio files) from the iPhone without syncing to iTunes?

Thnx

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
I was wondering how long it would take before someone made a post with "[Something descriptive here will yield more responses]" as the subject. LOL!

Imagine09, try again and use a description subject and you may get some valid responces.

- SR

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I was wondering how long it would take before someone made a post with "[Something descriptive here will yield more responses]" as the subject. LOL!

Imagine09, try again and use a description subject and you may get some valid responces.

- SR

This is actually about the 3rd or 4th one. lol
I always forget to add a subject line, too. The forum always has to remind me. Well, with this automatically filling the subject line, it doesn't do that. It will let you post your thread, without remembering to add a subject. lol

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
They happen often, but I fly-in and add an appropriate title. ;)

Imagine09

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007

- SR
Thanks for the advice...I keep forgetting about that. As a matter of fact I need to track down another one I posted today and see if I filled in the subject line. ;)

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
It's kind of funny, I always seem to spot them and click them.

It sort of yields more responses in it's own way :)

But anyway, I haven't found a way to delete anything audio - podcast or not - without syncing to iTunes. I believe it only works on videos.:eek:

Martlet

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
More of a "please tell me how to also" than a solution, but I may have a starting point.

Before the iPhone (crazy, I know)... I'd been working on my smart playlists, and ran across some comments saying that smart playlists would follow the rules if the original source list the rules referenced was also present on the iPod.

I've never gotten this to work, but I'd like to know if someone has.

Here's a summary of what I recall reading...

Most smart playlist rules reference the main library. Since the library is only available when you are syncing, rules don't change smart playlists in the device.

But, if your smart playlist references another playlist (static? smart? either works?), and both are available on the iPod, then the smart playlist will update on the iPod.

So here's what I think was supposed to work:

Playlist A: rule says to include all podcasts from Library
Playlist B: rule says to include all of Playlist A where play count is zero.

Sync both Playlist A & B to your iPod.

Listen to Playlist B and as you complete each track, the iPod should re-evaluated the rules, and remove it from Playlist B as long as the source the rules reference (Playlist A) is also synced on the same iPod.

I started to do this, but got distracted, and never finished testing to see if I could get it to work. Anyone have something like this working or know if it even works?

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Iknow you can delete PodCast (video files) directly from the iPhone...but, is there a way to delete PodCasts (audio files) from the iPhone without syncing to iTunes?

Thnx

If you are trying to delete a video podcast just slide forward to the end and it will ask you if you want to remove the file to conserve space...if it is audio you have to sync with iTunes...this is a feature that needs to be corrected....

Martlet

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
I got this to work for songs, but not for Podcasts.

For songs, I was able to create a fixed playlist as a source (uncheck live updating) and a playlist for use that uses a rule "Playlist is <source playlist>)" and "Play Count is 0" with live updating turned on.

When I played some songs from the 2nd playlist, then exited the playlist and selected it again to view the songs, the played ones had disappeared.

But I tried this with Podcasts in the source smart playlist with live updating turned off and it didn't seem to work.

Don't know what else to try...

Dec 20, 2008
Found it! It's not obvious, but ridiculously simple once you know the trick. Swipe left-to-right (right-to-left may work, but I didn't try it) across the podcast you want to delete. A delete button appears. Tap it, and you're done.

Thnx