Delete saved messages in "usage" ?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

macscac

Bronze
Jun 17, 2009
I have deleted all the texts in my message app.
But in the settings/usage, it shows 3+ gigs on the phone
How do I delete this?

a8araqaj.jpg

ma9ubygu.jpg

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Try doing a hard reset (press the home and power buttons until it reboots) and syncing with iTunes.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I think you have to. "Deleting" messages doesn't actually delete them unfortunately. If you begin a new iMessage conversation, you will see the messages you deleted pop back up in the history.

macscac

Bronze
Jun 17, 2009
Thats what i thought but they don't re-appear when i start a new conversation.
this is a dumb problem.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I think you have to. "Deleting" messages doesn't actually delete them unfortunately. If you begin a new iMessage conversation, you will see the messages you deleted pop back up in the history.
In the history? Do you mean the texting thread for that person? I've deleted texting threads that were really long a bunch of times and they never reappeared when I texted that person again. Additionally, I've gone into iFile (while jailbroken) and seen the GB drastically decrease immediately after deleting entire texting threads. I simply hit edit then delete to do this.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I have deleted all the texts in my message app.
But in the settings/usage, it shows 3+ gigs on the phone
How do I delete this?

View attachment 32027

View attachment 32028
Did your usage page update to the current size of the messaging app yet? I just deleted five picture texts and my messaging app immediately reflected the change in size and decreased by several MB. I didn't even have to reboot. I'm curious if yours just took a while to update on that screen.