Deleted emails reappear

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snurblet, May 28, 2010.

1. snurblet

snurblet Member

I'm on a jailbroken 3G (3.1.2), which I bought new over a year ago. The last few days, emails that I've deleted have been showing up again in my inbox the next time the app is launched. Messages deleted from Trash also come back.

This happens even with WiFi off and in Airplane Mode. It used to happen to a lesser degree soon after I got the phone, but resolved itself long ago. I've rebooted numerous times, and do so regularly.

The only app I know of that interacts with mail is Intelliscreen, but the problem persists even with that app uninstalled.

Any ideas before I resort to a restore? :dft005:frazzled
  2. NerdyDanny

NerdyDanny New Member

Knox email never game me that problem, the native email app does this from tike to time with my hotmail accounts.
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. NerdyDanny

NerdyDanny New Member

**MBox email

Typeo sry
  5. KrakaJap

KrakaJap Zealot

This happens to me all the time when I kill the email process too early or free up memory shortly after I use the mail app. Are you using SBSettings? If so, stay away from freeing up memory or killing the mail app for a while after you use mail. Other than that I'm not sure :)

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app
  6. snurblet

snurblet Member

I love simple solutions. Thanks!
  7. Me too! Thanks for responding in my other post snurblet. I should've searched first, but thanks though!
  8. snurblet

snurblet Member

It was a team effort. :)
  9. saige1r

saige1r Member

I just had this happen to me in my iPhone 4. Not jailbroken so idk what's going on here. I tried deleting the emails but older ones just popped up. Any ideas?
  10. KrakaJap

KrakaJap Zealot

Did you close the Mail app from the multitask bar? The same concept works here as well and I've reproduced it many times. If you close the Mail app too soon (from the multitask bar) it dorks the app and a lot of the emails reappear. There are 2 indicators you need to watch. The first is the status at the bottom of the Mail app where it says searching for new mail or whatever. And the second is the progress indicator next to your wifi/3G/Edge icon (upper left). Both of these must be idle before you can close the Mail app without any issue. I normally wait a few minutes after these indicators are finished loading before I attempt to remove the Mail app from my multitask bar.
  11. snurblet

snurblet Member

I've seen the emails come back even after the progress indicators have stopped, but I've not really determined just how long is long enough to wait. Less than a minute seems to do it, for me.

And if it's happening on non-JB'd phones, I guess it would have to be called a bug. Annoying...

PS- overdue Thanks inbound, KJ. :)
  12. KrakaJap

KrakaJap Zealot

I'm not certain I would classify it as a bug just yet... though the bug could reside in the display of the progress indicators. If they go off but progress is still happening in the background then that could be the issue. Of course I'm sure this is only effecting us slightly OCD users who prefer to close everything that isn't being used. :) lol
  13. saige1r

saige1r Member

I don't close anything in the
    Multitasking bar unless my location icon is lit (ie gps is running in background). Still had phantom emails appearing. Hasn't recurred since I deleted the emails from the actual deleted items folder tho.