Deleted Music Now "Other Data" at 20 GB

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by flightmedic, Jun 10, 2014.

1. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

OK. I went to add a few songs to a few playlists and half of my music was deleted off my phone (shows on phone but grayed out).

I unticked "sync music" and was going to re ad all of my playlists but now after deleting all of my playlists, my "other data" is stuck at 20 GB. I've tried hard reset, turning on the PC with my phone hooked up and trusting the computer, all without luck.

Does anyone know how to to fix this? I don't want to restore to new because of technical reasons I can't mention on this particular board/thread.

Thanks,
    Jim

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

"The Other data is comprised of iCloud documents, iOS OTA update data, stock app caches, text messages, MMS pictures and videos, Safari web data, system caches, things downloaded but not yet transferred to iTunes, and many more smaller files. The only way to temporarily get rid of this data is to restore your iPhone, but it will return."

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1337947

Did you sync your iPhone with iTunes without the music on iTunes? That's the only way I can think of of why your music is not on your iPhone anymore / playlists not there.

Why can you not mention the technical issues?

3. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

I added a few songs to a playlist and went to sync (I have 3 playlists on my phone totalling about 25 GB of music). After syncing some were grayed out and not playable on my phone.

I then unticked the sync music and resynced to start all over again. This is when the 20 GB of "other data" showed up.

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

This post from @Europa might be helpful.

If the other section is very large and there is nothing to explain that on your usage page, it is likely corrupt media files. The only way to clear it is to restore.

#4 chris, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  5. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

I was afraid of that, Chris. I hate to go back to stock.

No way to clean the system with some utilities?

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

What @chris said. Usually "other data" refers to deleted files or corrupt information.

I myself wish there was a way to clean the system as you say. Being jailbroken one can clean their phone but it won't remove stuff that is gone or corrupt.

7. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Not that I'm aware of... wish I could offer more help.

8. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

It's ok. If I was a dev I would love to update to to iOS 8 to see if the music sync problem is fixed. iOS 7 was HORRIBLE for syncing music. NO problems with my iPod Classic.

9. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

When you say syncing music, are you referring to having music already on your iPhone and wanting to sync it to your iTunes or visa versa?

10. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

I mean putting music on my iPhone. It has been a hassle since day 1. Over at the official Apple.com forums there's a 100+ page thread about it. I'm quite disappointed with Apple and the iPhone over this.

11. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I see. I don't recall having issues with syncing music to my iPhone but any issues can occur sadly to anyone, as you said there is a 100+ page thread about it. For me I put the song straight into my music on iTunes before plugging my iPhone in. Then I plug it in and sync.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The same thing happened to me a couple months ago when I synced a few new iTunes songs. I tried everything and ended up having to restore to factory settings.

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

If you're facing losing a jailbreak anyway, why not try iCleaner Pro to see if it can clean out some of that garbage?

14. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

I did. I gained back 2 GB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Cool. My advice was good, just late. :)

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Eh. Won't some of that 2 GB come right back with usage? And what about the other 18 GB of corrupt data that it didn't clear? :p

17. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

One answer to that. Sadly.

18. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I have no idea. He sounded desperate, so I tried to give him an option.

19. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

I don't know how my music is becoming corrupted honestly. The songs play fine in iTunes.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, you're misunderstanding me. The music files in iTunes on your computer are not the problem. They're fine. It's just corrupt data on the phone. A restore to factory settings will fix it. If you have tried unsyncing all music and videos on the phone (and then syncing them back), a hard reset and resetting all settings without any luck, then a restore is the only way to clear that space in the other section. It's happened to me on two devices and I tried everything. I had to restore to factory settings both times to get the other section back down to a reasonable number.