Deleted Music Now "Other Data" at 20 GB

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
OK. I went to add a few songs to a few playlists and half of my music was deleted off my phone (shows on phone but grayed out).

I unticked "sync music" and was going to re ad all of my playlists but now after deleting all of my playlists, my "other data" is stuck at 20 GB. I've tried hard reset, turning on the PC with my phone hooked up and trusting the computer, all without luck.

Does anyone know how to to fix this? I don't want to restore to new because of technical reasons I can't mention on this particular board/thread.

Thanks,
Jim

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
"The Other data is comprised of iCloud documents, iOS OTA update data, stock app caches, text messages, MMS pictures and videos, Safari web data, system caches, things downloaded but not yet transferred to iTunes, and many more smaller files. The only way to temporarily get rid of this data is to restore your iPhone, but it will return."

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1337947

Did you sync your iPhone with iTunes without the music on iTunes? That's the only way I can think of of why your music is not on your iPhone anymore / playlists not there.

Why can you not mention the technical issues?

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
I added a few songs to a playlist and went to sync (I have 3 playlists on my phone totalling about 25 GB of music). After syncing some were grayed out and not playable on my phone.

I then unticked the sync music and resynced to start all over again. This is when the 20 GB of "other data" showed up.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
This post from @Europa might be helpful.

If the other section is very large and there is nothing to explain that on your usage page, it is likely corrupt media files. The only way to clear it is to restore.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I added a few songs to a playlist and went to sync (I have 3 playlists on my phone totalling about 25 GB of music). After syncing some were grayed out and not playable on my phone.

I then unticked the sync music and resynced to start all over again. This is when the 20 GB of "other data" showed up.
What @chris said. Usually "other data" refers to deleted files or corrupt information.

I was afraid of that, Chris. I hate to go back to stock.

No way to clean the system with some utilities?
I myself wish there was a way to clean the system as you say. Being jailbroken one can clean their phone but it won't remove stuff that is gone or corrupt.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
It's ok. If I was a dev I would love to update to to iOS 8 to see if the music sync problem is fixed. iOS 7 was HORRIBLE for syncing music. NO problems with my iPod Classic.
When you say syncing music, are you referring to having music already on your iPhone and wanting to sync it to your iTunes or visa versa?

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
I mean putting music on my iPhone. It has been a hassle since day 1. Over at the official Apple.com forums there's a 100+ page thread about it. I'm quite disappointed with Apple and the iPhone over this.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I mean putting music on my iPhone. It has been a hassle since day 1. Over at the official Apple.com forums there's a 100+ page thread about it. I'm quite disappointed with Apple and the iPhone over this.
I see. I don't recall having issues with syncing music to my iPhone but any issues can occur sadly to anyone, as you said there is a 100+ page thread about it. For me I put the song straight into my music on iTunes before plugging my iPhone in. Then I plug it in and sync.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
OK. I went to add a few songs to a few playlists and half of my music was deleted off my phone (shows on phone but grayed out).

I unticked "sync music" and was going to re ad all of my playlists but now after deleting all of my playlists, my "other data" is stuck at 20 GB. I've tried hard reset, turning on the PC with my phone hooked up and trusting the computer, all without luck.

Does anyone know how to to fix this? I don't want to restore to new because of technical reasons I can't mention on this particular board/thread.

Thanks,
Jim
The same thing happened to me a couple months ago when I synced a few new iTunes songs. I tried everything and ended up having to restore to factory settings.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I don't know how my music is becoming corrupted honestly. The songs play fine in iTunes.
No, you're misunderstanding me. The music files in iTunes on your computer are not the problem. They're fine. It's just corrupt data on the phone. A restore to factory settings will fix it. If you have tried unsyncing all music and videos on the phone (and then syncing them back), a hard reset and resetting all settings without any luck, then a restore is the only way to clear that space in the other section. It's happened to me on two devices and I tried everything. I had to restore to factory settings both times to get the other section back down to a reasonable number.