Deleted Photos on Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bkford, Jan 11, 2016.

1. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

My son has a disaster on his MacBook Air. He is trying all his resources for a possible solution, and meanwhile I told him I would pose the question in a couple of places where I have always gotten good help. As I understand it, he thought he was moving all his photos and videos to Dropbox, in hopes of freeing some memory on his Mac. He didn't COPY them, he moved them. (MY understanding of Dropbox is that if you MOVE files from computer to DB, they are no longer on your computer.) But then he THOUGHT he was deleting them from his Mac (at that point, he didn't realize that if you move something to Dropbox, it is no longer on your Mac, so he didn't realize that wouldn't make sense, to be deleting files from your Mac that you had moved into Dropbox). Now they are gone in both places. Okay, one would think that perhaps he was IN Dropbox (not sure how that works on the Mac) when he deleted them (he did not believe that to be the case), but even if he was actually in Dropbox when he deleted everything, it seems to me they should show up in Deleted Files (to be recovered) within Dropbox. This was yesterday. He did empty the trash bin on the Mac, periodically, during this process. Now they do not seem to be anywhere. What doesn't make sense to us, as we tried to think through what might have happened, and more importantly, where the photos/videos could be is this: He moved them to dropbox. If he deleted them from Dropbox, they should be in the DB trash bin. If he did not move them, they should be on the Mac somewhere. He is certain he moved them. This is my son the brainy one, with a doctorate degree. Not that that means anything other than that he usually has a pretty good understanding of what he's doing. ;-) He works with Dropbox files all the time. Any suggestions of what might have happened (is it not possible to tell on the Mac whether you are in your Mac files or in your Dropbox files), or things to try, and is there any hope of finding the photos and videos?

2. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

PS to my own post: When he opened his other Mac, at work, the photos all started syncing. Thus, he has not lost them, and he was right that he did move them to dropbox. So where did he delete everything from, on his computer at home? Once he moved them to dropbox, which he obviously did, how were they still on the Mac to delete? Had they just not all "gone over there" yet?