Deleting an attachment photo from the drive on iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Antmf, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Antmf

Antmf Member
    Bronze

Hey all, I recently received an email with an attachment (photo) and instead of saving it to photo album I downloaded it to the drive on my Iphone 6. Is there a way to delete that photo from the drive? I looked under photos but it does not come up under photos. Only thing there are photos i took with my phone or saved to album. Thanks...

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

When you save a photo that was attached to an e-mail, it goes to your camera roll. If it's not there, it is not saved. iOS doesn't offer an option to "save to [flash] drive" in such a way that it would end up on the iPhone's storage but not accessible via the camera roll.

Be sure to scroll through all the photos on the camera roll, from beginning to end. If you saved the photo using this button:

save.jpg

then it is in your camera roll.

3. Antmf

Antmf Member
    Bronze

The options that I had was to save to camera roll which I didn't select because I am dopey lol and the other option was save to drive which is the one I selected. When I go to compose an email I can attach the photo that was saved to the drive but it isn't in my photos. Just got phone yesterday and only have one photo saved to camera roll or stream.

4. Antmf

Antmf Member
    Bronze

Also if I want to attach the photo that I saved I use gmail app and I use the insert from drive option to attach the photo that isn't in my photo library at all.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Drive is iCloud Drive. If you have a Mac, iCloud Drive will show up in Finder and you can delete it there. If not, use your PC to delete it from iCloud.
    Just go back to the email and save it to your camera roll.

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I have no "Save to Drive" option here on my phone. You must have an extension I'm not familiar with. Do you use any of the cloud storage services, like iCloud Drive or Microsoft OneDrive?

Europa: *jinx*

7. Antmf

Antmf Member
    Bronze

I used the Gmail app that allows me to save to drive.

8. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Maybe a screenshot of what you're talking about would help.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No screenshot is necessary. Check my post in this thead. I knew what he was referring to and provided directions. You have an extra option for saving with the Gmail app (Save to iCloud Drive). This would appear on the dropdown menu next under Save to Camera Roll. There was some confusion because Rafagon thought Drive meant save to a flash drive.

To fix this, the OP just needs to go back and save the photo to the camera roll and ignore the Drive option in the future. He can delete it from iCloud Drive from a computer if he wants to delete it. Although the Gmail app allows you to save it to iCloud Drive, you can't access that from the iPhone (unless you use another app). It's easier to just go back to email and save it to the camera roll and go from there with suported sharing options.

10. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Is it iCloud Drive or Google Drive?
    Thinking if it's iCloud Drive it would say something like that, as Google Drive only says Drive.
    I haven't changed over to iCloud drive yet and was curious. That's another reason I asked if a screenshot was possible.

#10 RoofMonkey, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  11. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I'm just curious, does it say iCloud Drive or just Drive?

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, it probably is Google Drive rather than iCloud Drive. Either way, the easiest fix is to go back to the email and save it to the camera roll.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

@RoofMonkey, I just installed the Gmail app to check it for myself. It is Google Drive. It says "Save to Drive" and it has the Google Drive symbol.

14. Antmf

Antmf Member
    Bronze

Thank you all for the help. Just to clarify it is google drive. I thought it was iCloud Drive but it's not. This was the reason I couldn't delete it. Lol. But I now can access it and delete it via google drive app. Thank you for all the help.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Side note:
    You couldn't have deleted it from your phone if it were in iCloud Drive. Apple completely hobbled iCloud Drive on iOS. You don't have access to the folders through an official Apple app. Instead, you have to access them from a lame third party app that only works in one direction and doesn't let you delete. It works great from Mac to Mac, though. That's why I was suggesting to delete it on your computer when I thought it was iCloud Drive, not Google Drive.

Google Drive files are easy to delete. They have a good app and it supports deletion.

16. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Which 3rd party app lets you access iCloud Drive files on iOS? I'm going to start using iCD to sync some files between two Macs and wouldn't mind being able to view them on my iPhone.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I use Cloud Drive Explorer. I got it last fall and it was free. I'm not sure if it got pulled. I just did a quick search on the App Store to get the download link and didn't see it.
    image.jpg

image.jpg

18. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Thanks. I downloaded the free version of Cloud Opener to try out but when I try to view a PDF, or even the same .rtf file that came in the app, it just sits there forever "loading." The app has a link to purchase the ad free version but it reports back that the item is not available. Sigh...

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Mine lets me open .pdfs. Too bad it got pulled from the App Store. However, you can't add any files to it, so it has little value. You have to add them from a computer. DropBox is 100x better than iCloud Drive for my type of usage and when going from iOS to Mac. Apple just doesn't want us to have access to any of these files outside Pages, Keynote, etc. It's very disappointing. I had high expections that iCloud Drive would work like DropBox. I was extremely let down when they launched it and I found out how hobbled it was and how they don't even have an official app for it.

20. Robert

Robert New Member

Here's the real answer. I have an iPhone 6 and use gmail as well. And yes, when you are attaching a pic to a gmail email, you can scroll down past "Camera Roll," past "Recent Attachments," and there it is, a row of stuff, (photos, pdf.s, etc) under "Drive." A pic is included, so all can see it's called "Drive." Go to the app store and download the free Google Drive app. Open it and shazam, the files magically appear there, ready to be dragged and dropped or deleted. Now wasn't that easy?

The Drive app is another storage option to lose all your stuff in or mistakenly download to and never find. Google's gmail doesn't do a very good job identifying where your photos are going when you download from emails, on a computer, drive means one thing, on your phone, you'd think it means the same thing, but no, it's a Google thing.

Attached Files: