Deleting corrupt files stuck in "Other" without restoring?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by GadgetGuru72, Sep 3, 2014.

1. GadgetGuru72

GadgetGuru72 New Member

Hi everyone-

So, my iPhone is kind of a pain. Every couple of months while trying to sync new music from iTunes, it will get stuck in the "waiting for items to transfer" stage and just hang forever. If I kill the sync, the music files remaining on the phone become corrupted.

What I have done in the past is use a program like DiskAid or iFunBox to manually go in an delete the contents of the "Music" folder, and then go back to iTunes and put all my music back. This typically works, and I've been forced to do this about 3-4 times.

Well, it happened again, but with a new twist. This time, when I went to delete my 40GB of music, rather than just deleting it, it now shows up under "other" when I connect to iTunes. So, I now have 42GB of "other."

If I look in the general settings, it shows 0 songs. The music player shows no content. But, the available space on my phone is only 1.5GB because it thinks there is 42GB tied up in "other."

I connected back to DiskAid and iFunBox trying to find that 40GB of apparently corrupted music files, but I can't seem to find it.

So, my question to the group is ...

Is there a way to find and delete this 40GB of apparently corrupted music files *WITHOUT* doing a restore?

I know that I can restore from my most recent backup, but in an ideal world I'd rather not do that. I've been on vacation the last couple weeks, and if I do a restore from my most recent backup, I will lose the progress I made on a bunch of games.

I'm obviously perfectly willing to lose that progress and do a restore if it's my only option, but I wanted to post this question and make absolutely sure there are no easier methods.

I am not jailbroken, and have no desire to be, so options that require a jailbrake won't work for me.

If it matters, I am using the iPhone 5, with the latest iOS, the latest version of iTunes, and a Windows 8 machine.

Huge thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!!

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Great job of "Copy and Paste"! ;)

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Here's a cookie, Ambassador. ;)

Cookie.gif

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Indeed. And he only waited one short hour after posting it elsewhere.

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I don't see a problem with posting identical legitimate questions to more than one forum.

7. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

Neither do I. What's the problem with doing it? I've done it before once or twice. Cut him some slack.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

My other section corrupted while syncing music last April. I tried removing and resyncing the music and restoring from backup, but the bloated other second remained just as big despite all my attempts to get it back down to a reasonable number. I had to restore to factory settings to free it up. It can't hurt to try restoring from backup first just in case it works for you.

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

You are both right. Was just having a bit of fun with the newbie and trying to start a pile-up after ledsteplin. Apologies to Gadgetguru72. No harm intended!

Unknown.jpeg

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Newbie? The OP has been a member for four years.

I copy and paste my threads on a couple forums when I have a question. I'm not sure why this was even mentioned in the first place.

11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

You're totally right, Europa. Based on the time he's been here he's anything but a newbie. He has been on eiC longer than I've been here (I only used the term "newbie" based on the number of posts the member has made, and that was a mistake, I now realize.)

I would like to iterate my apologies to the OP.

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Good grief! I was only teasing with the OP about Copy and Paste. Doesn't the "wink" mean teasing?

13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Led... my intentions were innocuous. I apologize to you as I did to the OP. I wish I could undo my actions now. No wink on your post to me so you must be genuinely upset.

I did do a bit of research (earlier) on his issue in hopes of posting some meaningful help and redeeming myself, but all solutions I found out there necessitated a restore (like this one by none other than iPhone guru Rene Ritchie) or the download of additional third-party software beyond what the OP has already tried.

Perhaps I should stick to the song of the day thread... It's harder to mess up there...

14. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

My last comment was not directed at you. It was just a general comment on the thread. No, stop hangin' out at "Song Of The Day" so much. We all need your expertise!

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Let's get back on topic please. Does anyone else have any other suggestions or relevant information for the OP?

16. Paulio

Paulio New Member

After all that banter from long ago, it fully paid off. As I couldn't make an account at iLounge (the no.1 google link to this problem, which unfortunately has a broken sign up page) I have got the solution (and only a year late!)

It was crucial for me to find an answer, as I'd be left without a jailbreak without the solution, which I just couldn't tolerate. If that's not the case, I can't see why you would care to solve this, just restore. So this is for those of us who like what we have made, and don't have the option to recreate if we are forced to start from scratch - at least any time soon.

OK SO:
    You need to browse the files on your iDevice, navigate to /var/mobile/media/iTunes_Control/music
    Delete everything inside of this
    I did this via iFile, which just sent everything to /var/mobile/Library/iFile/Trash
    Delete the trash, PROBLEM SOLVED.

I'm currently syncing my phone with a library a tiny bit bigger than what was on my phone before, and iTunes is quoting more free space than when the smaller library was stuck on my phone. The discrepancy is about 1GB. I don't know exactly what to make of that, but I did read on another forum that the OP gained an additional 5GB or so when he restored his device, so it's possible that using the above method is as effective as doing a full restore, with the advantage that I still have a fully capable device instead of the POS an iPhone 5 running stock 8.3 would be *shudder*