Deleting emails

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by brdmsd, Jun 29, 2014.

1. brdmsd

brdmsd Member
    Bronze

Is there a way to delete emails on a mass basis? I can only delete them one at a time. Under previous IOS 6 and below, you could limit the size of your inbox. This can't be done under IOS 7x. Unfortunately, my inbox has grown over 1000. What can u do other than delete one at a time?

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You can only mark each separately to send to trash. Once in trash, then you can delete in mass. I would suggest just deleting a few each day, if you don't want to sit and mark 1,000 or more. Maybe 100 per day until they're all gone. And you can turn off the red badge in notifications if it bothers you to see it.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, you can delete multiple emails at once. Open the email app and press the edit button. Then tap each message you want to delete. This will place a check mark next to the ones that are set to be deleted. Once you've selected all that you want deleted, select trash.

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You still have to mark each one. There's no "delete all" option without marking them. I thought that's what the OP wanted.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I realize you have to mark each one. I stated that in my post. I'm just posting a solution that's much faster than deleting them one at a time.

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I didn't mean to give the idea one has to mark and delete each one, one at a time. Just marking them one at a time. Then send all to trash. That's what I meant. I didn't make that clear enough. O_o

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I didn't misunderstand you. I was just saying that the solution I posted is faster than deleting them one at a time and it was worth mentioning. Not everyone realizes they can be mass-deleted like that.

8. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Maybe I'm just slower than most iPhone users but I just noticed something that I had seen a couple times before on my phone before but couldn't explain or duplicate. I didn't know that you can delete an email with only one full swipe from right to left. Not the usual swipe from right to left and then hit the delete button but doing it all with just a full swipe from right all the way to left. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks??

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I mentioned this in a post a few months ago. It was a pretty nifty discovery.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think it was introduced with iOS 7. It was one of those Easter egg features that wasn't mentioned at the Keynote. I didn't know about it for a few months after it had been added. I love it and use it all the time now.

11. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

And to add to this, if you delete a message by mistake, just shake your iPhone and you'll get a prompt asking if you want to recover the message.

12. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Too bad that couldn't be done after deleting an email from the Trash Folder. I also agree with Europa that it is a much easier way to delete emails from an inbox and I will definitely use it more often.

#12 iPutz, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The shake to undo drives me crazy since it frequently inadvertently activate it, so I disable it altogether. When I accidentally delete an email, I just go to my trash folder, press edit and move it back to my inbox.

14. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Fortunately for me I don't shake my phone except intentionally so it isn't a problem for me. Just lucky I guess.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I never shake it. The movement of holding the phone and typing and then lowering my arm and walking with a partially-written text inadvertently activates it. It's way too sensitive, in my experience.

16. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Could be, I've not noticed that but I guess it's possible.

17. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I've never had the "shakes" by accident either. I wasn't even aware of the feature. Cool.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You probably don't walk around with partially-written texts on an unlocked phone. I'm weird.

19. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I probably do. If it brought back and email, I never noticed.

20. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

You can trash all with iOS 9.