Deleting iPhone icon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slayer666, Oct 6, 2009.

1. slayer666

slayer666 Member
    Bronze

Is there any possible way that I can delete the icons that come with the iPhone because there are some of them that I don't want and it's a waste of space for me. Any help would be great.

Cheers Joe

2. BrownGem

BrownGem Zealot
    Gold

No you can't delete them. Best you can do is move them to the last page or "hide" them. Need to be jailbroken to hide them with j/b app.

3. computerfox

computerfox Zealot
    Gold

actually you can. you can even uninstall stuff, but you would need some sort of unix console. i use cyberduck (for pc's winscp or putty). set to ssh and you logon to the root, click up and then go into stash. next you go into Applications. from there you can delete/uninstall any apps you wish.

good luck and best wishes.

4. iNinja

iNinja Zealot
    Gold

Not true.

If you are jailbroken, just SSH into the iPhone and delete the .app from your file structure. For example, if you didn't want the stock app anymore then just delete stock.app from the applications folder.

Be aware that doing this permanently deletes the app from your phone and you would have to restore to get them back...

5. rojocrandall

rojocrandall Member
    Bronze

One thing I did is move all the stock icons I do not use to a back page on my springboard to get them out of the way. It could be a real pain getting them back if you delete them as mentioned above and then need one of them back.

6. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot
    Gold

Yes but you need to be jailbroken, like BrownGem said...

7. computerfox

computerfox Zealot
    Gold

of course. in order to do cool stuff, of course you need to be jailbroken. the only downside is that it slows down the iPhone a bit, but jailbreaking is a plus IF YOU KNOW HOW TO TROUBLESHOOT. if you're not that experienced with modern technology, i would suggest not jailbreaking since you would lose all of Apple's support.

:dft008:surprised how are you a zea lot?

8. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

You can Hide them from your Springboard, once jailbroken (as repeatedly said), download Poof. Then hide the apps you don't want to see. You can get them get back by un-poofing them.

Or.

As mentioned by the ninja, get rid of them via SSH, just be careful what your deleting. If you mess it up, you may render your phone unusable.

9. computerfox

computerfox Zealot
    Gold

or you can just rejailbreak it to get those apps back.

10. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I think you've miss-read what this guys saying. Although he is incorrect in his comment, he's right at the same time. You can always shift the icons you don't need to your back page on your springboard.

I hate to pick on the little guy, although you seem to have a decent knowledge about the iPhone, don't start with members that have contributed a great deal to this website. I've got things wrong in the past, I no doubt will in the future to.

11. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Why re-jailbreak?

Why should you have to do anything like that, the main idea is the prevention of problems. That's why I suggested Poof.
    :eek:k:eek:k

12. computerfox

computerfox Zealot
    Gold

i apologize and yes the post was in a sense correct in that you can hid it using apps and/or winterboard, but saying that you can't delete or deleting icons is incorrect and i was only shocked by that statement. again i apologize for being a prick.

i'm saying if something went wrong or you need any of the apps back you can rejailbreak it, but poof would be more sufficient.

13. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I understand what your saying, that's simply why I suggested Poof. I've deleted stuff through SSH before, I nearly wrote off my phone because I was getting into something which I knew nothing about (after further research, I'm quite happy). Your seriously going to deep' dark places when you start deleting files from the iPhone. I take extra care and caution when creating/adding my own custom message tones and email tones, just incase.

#13 iphonewarrior, Oct 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014
  14. computerfox

computerfox Zealot
    Gold

lol thank you and i agree with you when you said Poof would be a lot more safer. i just prefer going through ssh because i don't want to get an app to delete all my other apps if i can just plug in and CAREFULLY delete them through a UNIX based environment.

15. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

By UNIX (never really got into it), do you mean openSSH?

explain your method....

16. garykirsten63

garykirsten63 New Member

Of course you can delete that. I agree with previous comments. For doing this you have to be jailbriken. Thaen you have to use ssh to delete it from application list.

17. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I think there's enough answers for the same questions in this thread lol. About 10 different people have given the same answer, including myself.
    :eek:k:eek:k lol

18. computerfox

computerfox Zealot
    Gold

agreed! i can't stand that. i was actually just about to comment on that, that was it necessary to repeat what others said just to bring up one's post count?

yes and no. openSSH is what you need on your phone then you use some type of unix console to go into the system directories of the phone via ssh in the console.

19. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

So in basic your talking about Cyberduck and WinSCP...?

20. computerfox

computerfox Zealot
    Gold

basically. that's what i stated in my original post. putty would also work, but that's a bit more complex and i don't think it would be beneficial of me explaining that in this thread.