Deleting Mail On iPhone Deletes on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by Hondamaker, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

I don't know if this is a bug, or if there is a setting I'm missing, but if I download mail to my Mac (current OS), and then later check mail on my iPhone (current OS), the same emails will appear on my iPhone. Then when I delete the emails on my iPhone, the same emails are deleted on my Mac. I don't want this to happen. What can I do?

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Which mail service? But there is usually an option to leave mail on the server. That might do the trick. ??

Edit: sounds like it may be setup as IMAP.
    For people who simply want their INBOX to be the same on EVERY DEVICE, and be able to delete a copy of the email from the phone, and have that also be deleted from their inbox on their local computer, then they need to set up their EMAIL CLIENT on their Desktop Computer and their email on their MOBILE DEVICE as IMAP.

May want to check that and see. If it's POP3, it should stay on each device.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  3. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

That's it then. It's set up as IMAP. I dunno how that happened, as I usually use POP3. Thanks a bunch!

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Double check this... But I think that you will lose any created folders in IMAP once you switch to POP3.
    May want to back up any important mails before you change things

5. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

It's cool. I don't really need email on my mobile. Just have it in case of a special situation where I need to check email away from home.