Deleting old Emails

bonzo

Jun 18, 2009
I downloaded the new 3.0 software today and noticed that a new feature on the desktop is a search function for the entire iPhone. Great. When I tried it, I found out that every email I ever got is still on the phone somewhere. I have deleted from Inbox, Sent, and Trash folders but somewhere, there are several hundred emails that will list on search and I can retrieve any of them. How do I delete these? I have my phone set for the minimum 25 messages to keep. I don't want all these emails on my phone.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
How big is your "other" section? They may be stuck in there. If they are, there's no way to get them out without restoring the phone.

bonzo

Jun 18, 2009
I don't know what section they are in. I only have three folders in email: inbox, sent, trash. I never knew they were even still in the phone until I got the new software update today that has that search the entire phone application. I type a letter in the search and it brings up a list that includes all the songs I have starting with that letter, text messages, contacts, and emails starting with that letter. Must be 200 emails listed and I can recall any of them. I want to get rid of them. Where can they be in my phone? Is there a hidden cache somewhere?

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I don't know what section they are in. I only have three folders in email: inbox, sent, trash. I never knew they were even still in the phone until I got the new software update today that has that search the entire phone application. I type a letter in the search and it brings up a list that includes all the songs I have starting with that letter, text messages, contacts, and emails starting with that letter. Must be 200 emails listed and I can recall any of them. I want to get rid of them. Where can they be in my phone? Is there a hidden cache somewhere?
He is saying plug it into iTunes, look on the main page with your iPhone's information and see how big your "Other" section is.

bonzo

Jun 18, 2009
OK, I am going to check it right now. I saw that but didn't know what it was. How do you get rid of Other?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The other section is for the OS and settings and a few other things, but sometimes things get stuck in there, like incompatible video or music files you try to sync to the phone. Once they are there, the only way to get them out is with a full restore to factory settings. Let us know how big that section is. It should be around 300 MB.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's a little bigger than it should be, they might be in there.

bonzo

Jun 18, 2009
Then I need to do a restore on my phone. OK, Thank you very much for the help.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That should get rid of them. Just be sure to restore to factory settings and not from a backup. I also recommend setting the email up as IMAP and not POP after you get it restored.