Dell Zino HD

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Price also factors into any decision. This DELL Zino would have rounded out to $200 for a Core 2 Duo Processor, with more than enough RAM to work as nice HTPC. As it turned out, Dell canceled all the orders.

Mac Mini > Dell Zino -- and that's my Mac bias. Hard to argue with a competent computer at $200.

Dell does make a good monitor. Ugly, but good.
So apparently if you call Dell, they have a Order, Reorder department. That department looks up the original order and places it again. I guess I will get a chance to check out the ZinoHD. Hoping my friend didn't order a monitor yet.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
And just like that, the DELL Zino HD that had so much promise will make it's way back to Dell. There were a few things I like, a few things I didn't like and one major dealbreaker.

First off, the model I purchased couldn't playback MKV files -- either from the machine or streaming. That's the dealbreaker.

Things I liked was Windows Media Center and Media Connector. It immediately recognized my server and allowed for access with ease. The interface is pretty slick. Not as good as Plex, but nice for out of the box.

Frustrating part were all the drivers. I had to install Catalyst Control Center, Shark codecs and this after I did a clean install of Win 7. Of course, my network driver wasn't part of that install, so I had to seek it out and then install via a USB stick.

End result, you need an upgraded graphics card and processor to make this machine very capable. For the price, it's not a terrible computer, but just not right for me.

It's my second Dell product I'm sending back in the past two weeks. Think I'm going to take a break from ordering from Dell.

-Chris