Demo Internet Connection Using One of the Oldest Modems in Existence

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Live demo of a circa 1964 Livermore data systems acoustic coupler modem connecting to the internet and loading a text-based Wiki page in terminal.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
iP5, I accidentally deleted your post when I was deleting a duplicate post I had made. Sorry.

Here's your post:
iP5 said:
Here's a link to the 1968 model.

http://infolab.stanford.edu/pub/voy/museum/pictures/display/3-2-Modem.htm

Got to say I'm a bit suspicious on authenticity of that unit in the video.

His unit predates the museum piece.

1200 baud was available in the late 70's and my buddy ran a BBS on 1200 and a ton of commodore gear out of his bedroom in the mid-80's.
It's authentic. He spoke and did a demo at Defcon 17 in Vegas in 2009. I was actually there, but missed his demo because I only attended the iPhone seminars.

He explains the baud rate at 2:06 (if anyone here is interested).

Also, he's been responding in the thread that I originally found the YouTube link in yesterday in case you want to ask him any questions (same user name - phreakmonkey). The video is two years old and someone had reposted it. He probably noticed the site name on the YouTube comments and went there to answer questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
My first connected computer was a Kaypro 4 which had a built-in 300 baud modem; 1984. Prior to that my first unit, a Commodore 64 was not connected to anything other than its original cassette drive and later its external floppy drive. ... I'm starting to feel old ...