Demoralized

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
So i've been working on a SQL project the last few weeks, and in my infinite wisdom, i decided to try out iWork in the middle of working on it. I really like it except for one thing... Pages apparently uses a different apostrophe than microsoft word for .txt documents:

well, big whoop, right?

Not so much. SQL relies heavily on the apostraphe to separate values (among other things)... so i've been working on it in Pages since Saturday, and have been getting more and more frustrated because it seemed every error i fixed just generated more, which often legitimately happens with programming, so i just forged on... until just now. I finally realized tonight that Oracle doesn't seem to recognize the Pages' apostrophe as an apostrophe. Yes, i have a copy of the project before i started editing it in Pages, but that puts me DAYS behind, and the project is due Wednesday night. I've not found a way to search and replace, either... i may give it a go with Word once feel like working again.

This is the first time i've regretted using a Mac... i figured it was bound to happen eventually...

[/rant]

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Wow. Syntaxual pain in the ass there. Surely a word processor is your friend in this case? Although will that mess up the formatting in other ways?

This is why I went into music.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I don't even want to think about it right now. I've lost all motivation for getting it done.

What makes it worse is that i hate databases and SQL. I knew even before this debacle that i never wanted to do this kind of thing in the real world.

Oh well, I'll take a break, and maybe i'll come up with something later.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Hang in there. A solution will come to you.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
So i've been working on a SQL project the last few weeks, and in my infinite wisdom, i decided to try out iWork in the middle of working on it. I really like it except for one thing... Pages apparently uses a different apostrophe than microsoft word for .txt documents:

well, big whoop, right?

Not so much. SQL relies heavily on the apostraphe to separate values (among other things)... so i've been working on it in Pages since Saturday, and have been getting more and more frustrated because it seemed every error i fixed just generated more, which often legitimately happens with programming, so i just forged on... until just now. I finally realized tonight that Oracle doesn't seem to recognize the Pages' apostrophe as an apostrophe. Yes, i have a copy of the project before i started editing it in Pages, but that puts me DAYS behind, and the project is due Wednesday night. I've not found a way to search and replace, either... i may give it a go with Word once feel like working again.

This is the first time i've regretted using a Mac... i figured it was bound to happen eventually...

[/rant]
Good luck on your project bro. I bought both iWork '08 and Microsoft Office '08 when I bought my MacBook Bro, they gave me a student discount and each one was like 30% off. Anyhow, I really hate using Microsoft Office on Mac, it's just not cool and not like the Windows one at all, on the other hand, iWork '08 is good to use although I haven't done any projects on it. I always use Windows for my school work because I've been a Windows user for a long time and I always did my work on it, I guess some things never change.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I don't even want to think about it right now. I've lost all motivation for getting it done.

What makes it worse is that i hate databases and SQL. I knew even before this debacle that i never wanted to do this kind of thing in the real world.

Oh well, I'll take a break, and maybe i'll come up with something later.
I feel your pain. I actually do what you're doing on my day job (DBs, SQL, Java, and C++). If you have an Intel Mac, maybe you can get something like VMWare Fusion or Parallels and do all your SQL development in a Windows Virtual Machine. When I work from home on my Mac, I use Expose' and Spaces, keeping my Windows side in one Space and the Mac in another and it works out pretty well.