Denver, Colorado?

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
As you guys know, I am Egyptian and I have only been to the States twice, both times to New York with my Dad. I've been through some tough times recently and I am looking to travel and isolate myself from everything for a couple of weeks. The first country that came to mind is the US, and I have always wanted to visit California and Florida; I started using the good old Google to see the rates, travel packages, and all of that, and one search gave me a quiz which would supposedly determine the most fitting destination, and the result was Denver with the following reasons:

"You are, how should we put it, the most chill person we know. An outdoorsy nature lover and not one to turn down a good time, you’ve been known to check out more off-the-beaten-path places than most, especially if they've got good beer. With the Rockies just a 90-minute drive away, Denver makes the perfect base for some pre-ski city adventures, with no shortage of brewery tours, (legal) cannabis-selling establishments, and a hot foodie scene along the 16th Street Mall to keep you busy. Traveling with kids? Don't miss the Denver Art Museum, the Denver Botanic Gardens, and the Denver Zoo for a little family-friendly fun."

It's true, I'm a very chill, non-energetic person who loves to relax and have a good time without having to exert too much energy like going hiking, exploring a jungle, or any of that stuff, lol, so do you think Colorado would be a fitting destination? I went on this website called Expedia to check the rates for reserving a package in California which includes flight + hotel + car and the most suitable one was around $3100, so does that seem like a reasonable price? I believe the hotel is called Ramada South Elmonte for 14 nights.

Thanks guys!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Will you be traveling alone or with any friends or family?

If you have a budget over $3,000 and a rental car, there's no way I'd stay in one place. I recommend traveling the western part of the country, seeing the oceans and cliffs of California and some of the beautiful national parks in Arizona, Utah and Colorado. Denver sounds like a great place to start. They have some great brewery's on the west coast. They even have some in Salt Lake City that make excellent beer. You'd have a blast in Las Vegas. It's such a fun place and there's so much to do.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
My current plan is to go by myself, but my best friend said that he would be willing to join me on the trip. He thought that it would be a lot more fun if we don't actually make hotel reservations but just rent a car and go on a road trip of sorts, which sounds pretty awesome but at the same time scary because it's a different country altogether. I was thinking the first thing I do when I go there is buy a GPS device for the car since the companies charge you nearly 12 bucks a day for one, which is crazy considering I can buy a refurbished one for 50 bucks. I've always thought about going to Las Vegas but at the same time I heard it's crazy expensive and will require a lot of cash in order to truly experience it and have a good time over there.

The road trip plan in the Western part of the country does sound like a great idea, and I guess we could just crash at motels or small hotels throughout; I'm assuming it won't cost me a fortune and may actually be cheaper than reserving a hotel room for 15 days?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I agree with your friend about a road trip. Good idea with the GPS. Even if your phones have GPS, you'll probably have limited data plans while your here, so the best option is to just buy one for $50 and then sell it later. Yep, you can find hotels on the way that are reasonably priced. I've done that a lot when traveling.

You don't need a lot of money to have of fun in Vegas. Just don't gamble. You can get a room for as little as $70 right on Las Vegas Boulevard, which is walking distance from most things. If not, you can take the monorail. They have shows that start around $50, but you'd probably like one of the higher end ones that are around $150. There are a lot of exhibits (Bodies, Titanic) that are under $30. Drinks can be expensive, but you save if you buy them in stores rather than buying too many at bars and clubs. The restaurants have good prices. They have awesome views of the city from the top of the Stratosphere tower, which costs about $15 to go up or free if you have a room there. They have rides at the top, too. You can even Skyjump to the bottom if you want. They have Highroller that's less than $30 and similar to the London Eye. It has really good views of the city as well. They have an aquarium with lots of sharks, jellyfish and various predators of the sea that costs around $20. It's pretty cool. I've been to it six or seven times already. Not sure if you've been to an Apple Store yet, but they have three that are easy to get to and your bound to pass by one of them. Try to check one out while you're in the states.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
If you want a "chill" destination, forget the Western US -- come to ALASKA -- in mid-February. It doesn't get any more chill than that.

The Western US Drive is a good recommendation really. and if you've got 14 days to do it, that's plenty of time to do it leisurely and enjoy it. Vegas is a cool place for sure. I try to plan business trips there when I can. Of course, I enjoy a little gambling too -- something that Europa does NOT recommend. It's all about playing in control and not betting any more than you're willing to lose. The shows are great too. And just walking Las Vegas Boulevard at night is a lot of fun -- both to see the sights as well as the freaky people out there.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Thank you for your recommendations.

@Europa I was just talking to my friend over the phone and he himself suggested going to Las Vegas so that's going to be on the top of our list, and I'd like to thank you so much for all those places and all the information, they will most definitely come in handy. I've been to an Apple Store in New York City back when the iPhone 3G was a hit, and I wanted to purchase one from there but they only sold contracted ones - I ended up buying one from a store in Brooklyn which sold it to me for $550 with a turbo-sim if that's what it was called. Anyways I think I have it all planned out, I just need to renew my passport and visas and I'm good to go. I really hope it works out because I'm already really excited for it and it will probably be by the end of September. Do you think the weather will be good at that time? I am trying to make it any time way before Christmas because it would suck if the weather is cold.

@bballrob I'd love to visit Alaska but as I said I'm going late September or early October and I checked the expected forecast and there seem to be a lot of rainy days during that month!

Do you guys now if there's some sort of a road trip guide, voucher, article, or anything like that which cold actually plan your road trip from A - Z? I know that's not easy because people have different tastes and priorities but it could be a good indication when it comes to how long, how much, and things like that. I know it's nice to be enthusiastic and it would actually be a lot more exciting if it's unplanned, but since I am from Egypt and have to go back to work, I must plan it according to a lot of things.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Thank you for your recommendations.

@Europa I was just talking to my friend over the phone and he himself suggested going to Las Vegas so that's going to be on the top of our list, and I'd like to thank you so much for all those places and all the information, they will most definitely come in handy. I've been to an Apple Store in New York City back when the iPhone 3G was a hit, and I wanted to purchase one from there but they only sold contracted ones - I ended up buying one from a store in Brooklyn which sold it to me for $550 with a turbo-sim if that's what it was called. Anyways I think I have it all planned out, I just need to renew my passport and visas and I'm good to go. I really hope it works out because I'm already really excited for it and it will probably be by the end of September. Do you think the weather will be good at that time? I am trying to make it any time way before Christmas because it would suck if the weather is cold.

@bballrob I'd love to visit Alaska but as I said I'm going late September or early October and I checked the expected forecast and there seem to be a lot of rainy days during that month!

Do you guys now if there's some sort of a road trip guide, voucher, article, or anything like that which cold actually plan your road trip from A - Z? I know that's not easy because people have different tastes and priorities but it could be a good indication when it comes to how long, how much, and things like that. I know it's nice to be enthusiastic and it would actually be a lot more exciting if it's unplanned, but since I am from Egypt and have to go back to work, I must plan it according to a lot of things.
Yeah, that's a great time of year to travel here. October and April are the best months in this area.

An A to Z would be difficult because it wouldn't be customized. I'd just choose the things you want to do beforehand and plan it out yourself. Let me know if you have any questions. I've spent a lot of time in Arizona, Utah and Nevada and some in California.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
So when are you coming out here, Tarek?
Hopefully by the beginning of October. My wallet as well as many things in my car were stolen last February and I have not actually had the time to get a new national ID, passport, license, and a lot of important things that have to be finished before I apply for the visa again, and in Egypt those take quite a bit of time.

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
I am partial to CO since I live here, but I do agree that you could see a lot of places in 14 days and not stay in one place that whole time. On a side note if you are planning to hit a marijuna shop make a quick purchase and take it elsewhere, a lot of those places aren't exactly in the nicest areas.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I am partial to CO since I live here, but I do agree that you could see a lot of places in 14 days and not stay in one place that whole time. On a side note if you are planning to hit a marijuna shop make a quick purchase and take it elsewhere, a lot of those places aren't exactly in the nicest areas.
Just curious, is it legal to smoke it in a hotel? Last I heard, you have to be in a private residence.

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
Just curious, is it legal to smoke it in a hotel? Last I heard, you have to be in a private residence.
I'm not sure if it is legal in a hotel, but they are trying to pass a law to allow you to smoke it in bars to help attract tourists. The funny thing is that cigarette smokers are really looked down on, but marijuna smokers are welcomed, lol.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Well I wasn't thinking about it until you said it. I've always wanted to travel to the Netherlands and try their marijuana, to be honest, because my friends went there and they tell me it's just fantastic. I don't really smoke up over here but I like experiencing new things that aren't locally available when I travel. Perhaps I could give you a call when I'm there and take your advice? I wouldn't want to go into any shady neighborhoods that I do not know of. Speaking of which, I was thinking about the safety of the whole thing yesterday but I kept convincing myself that as long as I got gas in the car, everything should go fine.

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
Well I wasn't thinking about it until you said it. I've always wanted to travel to the Netherlands and try their marijuana, to be honest, because my friends went there and they tell me it's just fantastic. I don't really smoke up over here but I like experiencing new things that aren't locally available when I travel. Perhaps I could give you a call when I'm there and take your advice? I wouldn't want to go into any shady neighborhoods that I do not know of. Speaking of which, I was thinking about the safety of the whole thing yesterday but I kept convincing myself that as long as I got gas in the car, everything should go fine.
Absolutely. Let me know if you come into town and I will steer you away from the shadier neighborhoods. They have a ton of edibles as well that they say are pretty strong. Just don't cross the state line or try to get on a plane with it.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
In an unfortunate turn of events, I'll have to delay the whole thing because I will not be able to move for at least a month and a half if not more, so I cannot really finish any papers in the mean time. Yesterday I was on my way to the car at night after I finished work and there was this deep hole I did not see and my I fell with my left leg inside it and boom, I broke my foot. The doctor says he'll give the bone a chance to reconnect and heal on its own but if it doesn't, then it will require surgery. I really do hope it heals on its own because I hate surgeries and I don't trust surgeons over here, and I will not be able to travel since I don't have my military papers to finish my passport. :(

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Sorry to hear about your foot. I hope it heals fast and that you won't need surgery.

You joined the military?

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Sorry to hear about your foot. I hope it heals fast and that you won't need surgery.

You joined the military?
No, military service in Egypt is mandatory if you have a brother, which I don't, so I need to get the exemption papers but I don't know how I could possibly do it in the state I am in, especially since the weather is over 40 Celsius and the process is long and exhausting.

Thank you, Mindi, I appreciate it. I truly hope I won't need surgery as well!!