Desktop OS

Dec 8, 2008
N
I use Windows.
What do you use? Why do you like it? Why do you not?

Im wanting to switch out of windows, because im bored with it...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Osx leopard. Easy maintenance, powerful features built-in, synergy with other Apple products, nice UI.

Windows 7. Improved performance and UI over vista and xp. Allows me to run most windows-only apps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
windows, linux, trying to get into osx, but i don't want to buy a mac just for an operating system.

Dec 8, 2008
N
I heard Linux (Ubuntu) <would someone tell me the difference?< gives you more "freedom" or control... As most programs(app) are made for windows, some are vital, would they work on Linux?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I heard Linux (Ubuntu) <would someone tell me the difference?< gives you more "freedom" or control... As most programs(app) are made for windows, some are vital, would they work on Linux?
Linux comes in many different incarnations, and Ubuntu is only one of these. Arguably the easiest for Linux beginners to get the hang of. Basic apps like Firefox, Openoffice, and (i think) VLC media player come preinstalled, and there is a pretty decent UI right off the bat. And as in most versions of Linux, the tweakability is nearly endless.

Windows programs will not work in a Linux OS without some kind of virtualization software.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I use Ubuntu (Linux), Mac OSX, and Windows XP. I tried Windows Vista and hated it, so I switched back to Windows XP for a few programs I like that can only be run on Windows (like Adobe Audition). I prefer Mac OSX because its more secure and doesn't require ongoing maintenance like Windows does (Defragmenting, cleaning the registry, etc).

Dec 8, 2008
N
Awesome, what form of Linux is good for begginers?

Dec 8, 2008
N
Can Linux be booted on any desktop device? Can anything handle it? Whats the most used For of Linux?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Ubuntu is going to be the easiest for beginners to get up and running. It does typically work straight away on most systems, but it's possible you may have to hunt for some drivers. If you have a big-name brand of PC such as HP or Gateway, it'll probably work just fine.