Desktop will Computer will not recognize my iPhone

dmccotter

Dec 13, 2008
Just bought a 3G iPhone....and I cannot get the computer I have my I-tunes on to recognize the iPhone. Can anyone give me an idea of how to get my computer to recognize the iPhone...really want to get my music on the phone.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Just bought a 3G iPhone....and I cannot get the computer I have my I-tunes on to recognize the iPhone. Can anyone give me an idea of how to get my computer to recognize the iPhone...really want to get my music on the phone.
Please tell us more - are you on Mac/PC, Vista etc.? What iTunes version are you using, are you jailbreaked on the iPhone etc.

HBOC

Bronze
Aug 4, 2008
Portland, Oregon
its because it is a PC:) just kidding, just wanted to be the first to say that...

I would shut down iTunes and then re-open it. I remember that my girlfriends' dell xps sometimes wouldn't recognize it, but it was actually the computer not recognizing the usb cable plugged in. Maybe restart the computer as well. I do have to say that i wish that Apple would make iTunes work as as seamlessly with windows as it does with a mac. I am assuming that it is because it is Apple software, so naturally it performs better in OSX.

Nonetheless, i would try restarting the PC and then retrying. I did that and it worked. kindof a pain, i know....

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
Keep the phone plugged in when you restart. Try your other USB ports.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I assume it's a problem with either your USB cable or your USB slot/port.

Try other ports and other cables.

ess_bee

Bronze
Dec 16, 2008
UK
I assume it's a problem with either your USB cable or your USB slot/port.

Try other ports and other cables.
This has happened to me in the past..

I solved it by holding down the 'home' button for 30 seconds and your iPhone will appear in iTunes

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I am not sure, but I think that's what you do if the phone is already switched ON. But if it's off, I think you only need to hold the Home Button for 10 seconds. As I said, not sure.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
The VERY first thing you want to do is make sure you have the latest version of iTunes. In "Help" there should be an "About iTunes" option. The version # should be 8.02. If it isn't, go to www.iTunes.com, and download and install the latest version.

icemanplh

Dec 17, 2008
missouri
just try another usb port the problem is your pluging into a non-hispeed most usb cables are now 2.0 and your plugging it into a 1.0 port

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
whilehe should try a different port if the other options don't work, there's no way to know what kind of USB ports he has with the info provided.