Desperate can anyone help

Panpot

Dec 31, 2007
I know I am not the first and sadly wont be the last but can anyone help? I am unable to connect to my home wifi (Wanadoo live box) with my 16g iPod touch. I have been on every forum I can find and have been unable to find a solution. I have also just noticed that in my computer the ipod is not showing up even although it has synched apparently.

I am really a beginner with this and not sure what to do. I supspect there will be many many folks like me and if some kind person could assume we know nothing and carefuly guide us all what to do it would be a wonderful thing. For example my wifi does show up "wireless" and when clicked states "unable to join the network "wieless" If I go further I get what looks like a number of fields I am supposed to type in details such as IP Address Subnet Mask Router etc etc.

What on earth are these? I realise if you are technically up to speed this is all easy to understand but to the folks like me it just is so demoralising. To be honest I don't understand how a company like Apple can release a product that seems so wonderful on the surface but really is flawed beyond measure.

Thanking in advance anyone who can help, cheers Panpot

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
I'm afraid all the info you need is in the manual that came with your router. You're unlikely to get any help from a place like this as we actually know LESS than you do. Which is scary.

The Touch isn't flawed. If you set your router up with DHCP (which will be the default setting) all you will need to do on the touch is type in a password, nothing more than that.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
There is no problem with the Touch, it's your router.

I can offer assistance, should you be using a Linksys router. Otherwise, it would be wise to contact however made your router.

For a Linksys router:
1) Open your browser. In the URL field, type in http: // 192.168.1.1 (remove spaces) and let the page load.
2) A box will come up asking for a name and password. In the Name filed, input the word root, and leave the password filed blank. Click Connect.
3) Now displayed to you are several options. Under 'Security' you can change the type of Security your Router uses, such as DHCP or WPA. You want to select WPA or WPA Personal. You with then be asked to set a password. Input one that is secure and at least 8 digits long. Click 'OK' or 'Save'.
4) Now try to connect on your Touch. Upon connecting, you will be prompted for a password. Enter the one you just set, and you will be connected.
Hope this helps you.

- John

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 2, 2008
The problem is most likely with your wireless router. Most routers are set up by default to allow computers to connect and automatically be given an IP address (this is called DHCP). Many will also have a password in order to connect. These passwords come in a number of flavors, WEP, LEAP, WPA are some examples. I tried while in a hospital over the holidays to connect to one of those with a WEP password. They appear with a padlock next to their name in Settings >> WIFI

As previous posters have indicated, dig up your manual for your router and follow the instructions for the specific brand of router. Generally configuring of a router is done by connecting to the router using your web browser. The router loads a web site that is used to make changes to the routers set up.

You may just have to change the DHCP settings to turn on DHCP. Look at the wireless settings on another computer that is connected to the wireless and that will tell you if DHCP is setup.

I hope this helps clarify things for you.

Panpot

Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for the prompt replies I am sure they will help although being a techie numpty much is still unclear. I will have a friend help me later and see what happens. I will feedback my results but thanks again

Panpot

Dec 31, 2007
Well my friend explained thet since my laptops are connecting my iPod touch should too,so I am going to reset everything and start from scratch again but not tonight. I have had enough for one day hopefully tomorrow it will sort itself out,thanks again

iStealth

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
Well my friend explained thet since my laptops are connecting my iPod touch should too,so I am going to reset everything and start from scratch again but not tonight. I have had enough for one day hopefully tomorrow it will sort itself out,thanks again
Does your router have WEP or WPA encryption enabled? if so you will need to know the passwords to get in on your touch.

Panpot

Dec 31, 2007
Thanks iStealth, I will need to wait until my friend is available before exploring this. I have had a busy day so it will be tomorrow before I can make progress but will report back what happens. Cheers Panpot

Panpot

Dec 31, 2007
I am still no further forward since my friend managed to help me get into my settings on my livebox router and none of the security blocks are on so it should work but stiil doesn't. to be fair I have not been in any other location to test it elsewhere like an airport so it may well still be my router that is the issue. I will be in an airport this week so I will know better then otherwise I will be returning it to Dixons in Heathrow airport as soon as possible.

I intend to completely reset the touch again today and fiddle around with the livebox. Thanks for all the help so far. Cheers Panpot

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
I am still no further forward since my friend managed to help me get into my settings on my livebox router and none of the security blocks are on so it should work but stiil doesn't. to be fair I have not been in any other location to test it elsewhere like an airport so it may well still be my router that is the issue. I will be in an airport this week so I will know better then otherwise I will be returning it to Dixons in Heathrow airport as soon as possible.

I intend to completely reset the touch again today and fiddle around with the livebox. Thanks for all the help so far. Cheers Panpot
Has the touch got a "Reset all settings" And a "Reset network settings" Like the iPhone, presuming so. These will probably be enough. this could be a hardware problem of course so finding another WiFi would be a very good move.

Panpot

Dec 31, 2007
Has the touch got a "Reset all settings" And a "Reset network settings" Like the iPhone, presuming so. These will probably be enough. this could be a hardware problem of course so finding another WiFi would be a very good move.
Yes it has and I have reset the complete system including iTunes updated my own computer indeed done everything I can find in all the forums I can find but to no avail.

My travel this week will bring me into other hotspots and I can test it better there otherwise replacement looks the only course now. Thanks for all the care. Cheers panpot

Panpot

Dec 31, 2007
Yes, having been away on businesss I have found it to work in many other locations so the Livebox is the issue. Thanks everyone who helped. cheers Panpot

ricthar

Jan 20, 2008
Have you tried doing a complete shut down and restart on you touch? this helps for a number of things. Just hold the little button on the top until you see a red slider. Slide it to turn the touch completely off. Wait 10 seconds and restart by holding the button until you see the Apple come up. I have seen this work for this problem before, but no guarantee.

Panpot

Dec 31, 2007
Have you tried doing a complete shut down and restart on you touch? this helps for a number of things. Just hold the little button on the top until you see a red slider. Slide it to turn the touch completely off. Wait 10 seconds and restart by holding the button until you see the Apple come up. I have seen this work for this problem before, but no guarantee.
Thanks, I will have a go with this. To be honest I am prety sure it is the settings on my Live box which is two and a half years old and does have some updates available but I am scared to download them since I have lost my origional settings.

Since it works when I travel and l that's why I got it I am probably happy enough.

Panpot

Dec 31, 2007
hi mate did you manage to connect to the livebox ?

thanks

mark
No billly boy red I have been unable to do so I am assuming its to do with updates for the livebox but since I don't have the origional settings I have accepted it and can use it when I travel.

Bye the way having had my laptop stolen a few weeks ago I have lost my iTunes library and until I can back up my iPod touch to my replacement I am scared to download iTunes and connect the iPod touch again.:eek:

jnui

Jul 27, 2008
I have a router called orange livebox, I think it is the same or very similar and I just connected.

you need the security password so if you don't have this , you need to login using your laptop to get the security code.
while connected to your wifi , in your browser go to ip 192.168.1.1
click on the admin
you will be prompted for password, the default is
username admin
password admin
go to security settings for the internet connection.
the long password will be listed there.
write this down, it is case sensitive.

in your iPhone connect to wifi as usual,
when prompted for password enter it.
do not hit JOIN yet.
go to your router and press the butten labelled with number 1
now hit join on your iPhone.

I was pulling my hair out until i remembered that the livebox will not allow new users until you press button number 1. (it lasts for about 5 minutes before you have to push that button again)

Panpot

Dec 31, 2007
Hi Jnui,

Sorry for not getting back to you I have been away on businesss and only now back with my Livebox. I have since upgraded to the 3g iPhone and it still wont connect.

In got into my Livebox settings as per your advice but only managed to get the Connection Login details but the connection password was just 7 dots.

On attempting to connect the wifi on my iPhone the router is available but when I click it I get the message "Unable to join network" so cant continue with your instructions.

Its a big disapointment

Cheers Panpot

Panpot

Dec 31, 2007
Thank you thank you thank you.

I just did the pressing of the number 1 button on its own and connected both my iPod touch and phone, happy days

:laugh2: