Details I got from an AT&T rep

STNLESS

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
I was planning on going to the store and getting an iPhone for myself and my fiance. I called 611 from my phone and spoke to AT&T. Here is what I was told:

You cannot buy phones for other people. If you want to setup a phone on an existing account you need to be the account holder. To get around this issue I was told to setup a FamilyTalk plan prior to launch. In this way, both lines would be on my account so I could be allowed to get both phones.

There are some interesting details:

Both of us have exceeded our contract time... just paying month to month.

If I transfer her account into mine ($18 fee) and convert to a 2 Line FamilyTalk plan then her line is automatically entered into an 11 month contract. When we both get iPhones then both lines are entered into new 2 year contracts.

There is an $18 per line fee to change phones on our existing numbers. If we don't want to do that, we can each get a new number but then there is a $36 per line activation fee.

It was previously unknown to me that by buying an iPhone I will have to pay an $18 fee to change the phone on my account regardless of contract status.

The cheapest single line phone plan* is $39.99 for 450 Mins (w/ roll-over)
The cheapest FamilyTalk plan* is $59.99 for 550 Shared Mins (w/ roll-over)

Text Messaging plans* (per line) are:

200 Messages is $4.99
400 Messages is $9.99
TXT Unlimited is $19.99

* All prices are "plus tax"

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I was planning on going to the store and getting an iPhone for myself and my fiance. I called 611 from my phone and spoke to AT&T. Here is what I was told:

You cannot buy phones for other people. If you want to setup a phone on an existing account you need to be the account holder. To get around this issue I was told to setup a FamilyTalk plan prior to launch. In this way, both lines would be on my account so I could be allowed to get both phones.

There are some interesting details:

Both of us have exceeded our contract time... just paying month to month.

If I transfer her account into mine ($18 fee) and convert to a 2 Line FamilyTalk plan then her line is automatically entered into an 11 month contract. When we both get iPhones then both lines are entered into new 2 year contracts.

There is an $18 per line fee to change phones on our existing numbers. If we don't want to do that, we can each get a new number but then there is a $36 per line activation fee.

It was previously unknown to me that by buying an iPhone I will have to pay an $18 fee to change the phone on my account regardless of contract status.

200 Messages is $4.99
400 Messages is $9.99
TXT Unlimited is $19.99

* All prices are "plus tax"

Thanks for info from like 3 months ago. Just to be even more of an ass, there's an Unlimited (in-network) Text message package for $9.99.

STNLESS

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
"Just to be even more of an ass"

Thanks for info from like 3 months ago. Just to be even more of an ass, there's an Unlimited (in-network) Text message package for $9.99.
I'm quoting what was told to me by the rep.

I see you are perfect and NEVER mention ANYTHING ever said by anyone prior... I'm new to the board and have not read everything. Way to make me feel welcome by shooting down my desire to just provide information that I have.

Don't be such a smug jerk.

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net

200 Messages is $4.99
400 Messages is $9.99
TXT Unlimited is $19.99
That is assuming that no new plans are introduced between now and June 29. I strongly suspect that there will be new plans.

- SR

STNLESS

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
sim card

Welcome to mobile phone service providers.
I was informed by AT&T that:

The iPhone has a preinstalled sim card which AT&T reps are instructed to use. Also, if you move your sim card to another phone it will require a call to AT&T to activate it. Each activation would reset your 2 year contract start date.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Thats BS. ^ Unless they were talking about the iPhone only because I can tell you I've moved sims back and forth with no problem.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I was informed by AT&T that:

The iPhone has a preinstalled sim card which AT&T reps are instructed to use. Also, if you move your sim card to another phone it will require a call to AT&T to activate it. Each activation would reset your 2 year contract start date.
I haven't heard about the reset thing, but I wouldn't be surprised. And yes, the SIM card is pre-installed and pretty "locked down". It can be removed, but I guess you would risk it not working if you put it back in (?) I dunno....
I hate AT&T, honestly. And by what i've heard, all other mobile providers are just alike, too. Sorry to be an ass to you earlier, we're just seeing a large influx of new guys that don't use the search function. yours actually wasn't all that bad, as at least you included a little bit of stuff that some ppl may not have known. ;)

STNLESS

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
unlocked phones

Thats BS. ^ Unless they were talking about the iPhone only because I can tell you I've moved sims back and forth with no problem.
I currently have an unlocked SLVR and my brother has an unlocked "something or other" and we've swapped sims before. The only thing I can guess is that the sim is locked to the iPhones IMEI # and would possibly explain the preinstalled sim.

STNLESS

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
multi phones

I would wait until 6/29 before doing anything...
Aparently, if you know you want 2 phones for you and another person and are the sole person getting them... You want both lines to be under your name prior to going there.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I don't see why you need to pay 18 for putting your sim card in another phone.
I'm sure that's just a handling fee for activating the new phone. More than likely they'll put you on a new SIM card too. I know when you order equipment upgrades, they ship a new sim card with each new handset. If you choose, you can just slide in your old sim, but they have a new one there if you need it. The new sim cards are 64kb instead of the older 32kb versions.

Knowsall

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I'm quoting what was told to me by the rep.

I see you are perfect and NEVER mention ANYTHING ever said by anyone prior... I'm new to the board and have not read everything. Way to make me feel welcome by shooting down my desire to just provide information that I have.

Don't be such a smug jerk.
Been there done that. Agreed STNLESS. I don't even post except to agree with everyone else so i don't get jumped on just for trying to discuss the iPhone.

STNLESS

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Data only

It would seem that AT&T allows you to get a data only plan for smartphones and be charged $.40/Min for calls made.

If you want the iPhone for internet use and not focus on phone use you could possibly save some money.

Time will tell...