Details on new MacBook Air

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
According to PhoneNews, via BGR, the MacBook Air will get a major refresh. They are saying it will have a Core 2 Duo, bigger battery and the standard hard drives will see a bump to 120GB and 180GB SSD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Oh that is pretty exciting. I have an extended warranty for 3 years that covers replacement at $0 so if the improvements are THAT great then I might just go ahead and trade my current MBA in.

As of now though I'm still loving the MBA and will most likely hang on to it for a little while longer at least.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Oh that is pretty exciting. I have an extended warranty for 3 years that covers replacement at $0 so if the improvements are THAT great then I might just go ahead and trade my current MBA in.
where did you get THAT plan?

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO

As of now though I'm still loving the MBA and will most likely hang on to it for a little while longer at least.
Doesn't there have to be something wrong with yours to get it replaced?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think I'll be getting a new one anytime soon. I'm very happy with my SSD drive. It's fast as it is. I keep movies and other large things like WOW on tiny 8GB USB thumb drives like this one:

so space isn't a problem (the fruit above is a tiny tangerine, not an orange).

I wouldn't mind a built-in CD/DVD drive, but it doesn't look like the new version will include one of those anyway.

Kelley, are you planning to get a MBA?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
This is great news! If hard drive sizes do increase, this will be my tipping point to finally get one and my black MacBook will have its 15 minutes of fame on Craigslist.

I have to admit that I've also been waiting for the option to have a built-in cellular modem in the Air (I know there are USB ones, but I don't want a separate accessory to plug in to that slim beauty all the time), but I think I'll be okay with the NetShare app on my iPhone (which I use sparingly)...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
where did you get THAT plan?
I got it from Best Buy actually. It covers anything (basically) aside from theft or loss.

The Best Buy employee told me that when they have a better one come out, to intentionally "accidentally break mine" and get a replacement which would then be the new one.

I won't be doing anything like that for quite some time because I love my MBA the way it is, though a free improvement down the road will be nice.

Also, macgirl, I've used NetShare on my MBA and it's so awesome. The ultimate, ultimate portability.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I got it from Best Buy actually. It covers anything (basically) aside from theft or loss.

The Best Buy employee told me that when they have a better one come out, to intentionally "accidentally break mine" and get a replacement which would then be the new one.

I won't be doing anything like that for quite some time because I love my MBA the way it is, though a free improvement down the road will be nice.

Also, macgirl, I've used NetShare on my MBA and it's so awesome. The ultimate, ultimate portability.
That's what i got with my MBP. Well worth the investment.

Unfortunately, it's not that easy to get an upgrade. They will have to send the Air to a service center, who will then attempt repairs. It's possible they can determine it's not economical to repair, but that rarely happens with ADH (accidental damage and handling) plans. Best case scenario, you will have to be without a computer for a few weeks until the service center can approve the exchange.

Although, i don't really know what exactly can be repaired on the Air... it may be a special case where they can't repair them at all and can swap it out immediately. I can check on that tomorrow, actually.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
It's actually a full replacement plan, not a repair plan. My parents had it on our TV and it just stopped working (for some unknown reason) and instead of sending a tech out they just carted it off and gave us the credit we paid to put towards a replacement TV.

I have had the regular Best Buy warranty coverages in the past on my last laptop (a Sony VAIO) and they refused to fix it claiming there was liquid damage, despite the fact that I had two 3rd party PC experts look at it and tell me there was no damage. This time around I didn't want to worry about the hassle.

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
I don't think I'll be getting a new one anytime soon. I'm very happy with my SSD drive. It's fast as it is. I keep movies and other large things like WOW on tiny 8GB USB thumb drives like this one:

I wouldn't mind a built-in CD/DVD drive, but it doesn't look like the new version will include one of those anyway.

Yes, I would LOVE to get an MBA!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
It's actually a full replacement plan, not a repair plan. My parents had it on our TV and it just stopped working (for some unknown reason) and instead of sending a tech out they just carted it off and gave us the credit we paid to put towards a replacement TV.

I have had the regular Best Buy warranty coverages in the past on my last laptop (a Sony VAIO) and they refused to fix it claiming there was liquid damage, despite the fact that I had two 3rd party PC experts look at it and tell me there was no damage. This time around I didn't want to worry about the hassle.
dude, as far as i know best buy doesn't offer replacement plans on laptops... and this is all i do every day. Not tryin to come down on you or anything, i just don't want you to be surprised if they tell you they have to service your "broken" macbook.

It may very well be the MBA is what Best Buy calls a "Devo" item... which means it is unrepairable, so we will just swap it out on the spot. I'm not sure as we haven't serviced any MBAs so far. I'll check on it tomorrow for you, though.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I had a replacement plan on a Gateway tablet PC. And I used it. To get my money back. although I couldn't get the money back from buying that stupid overpriced useless replacement plan... (the unit failed within the first year, i could have gotten my money back by using the standard warranty)

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Dude, I have a Gateway Tablet (as a spare computer now) and have had nothing but problems with it since the purchase. So ridiculous.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Oooh, that sounds like fun. Hit me up when the time comes, I know all sorts of creative ways to eff up a computer...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
damn, i forgot all about this. I'll definitely check on it this week... i'm curious.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio

OT, but geordisjd, how do you ( if you do) stop that crap from coming up when you pop in you Sandisk Cruser USB drive?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
OT, but geordisjd, how do you ( if you do) stop that crap from coming up when you pop in you Sandisk Cruser USB drive?
I've got one too. Basically you just have to disable Autoplay, which is the world's most annoying feature ever anyway.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
he may also be referring to the software preloaded onto them to "help" transfer data... you can just delete the .exe and corresponding files in the root directory of the drive... i don't recall the specific names, though.