Detatched from Google services

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ZR_Yancy, Jan 16, 2014.

1. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

So I've began the process of shutting down all my services with Google, Facebook and other social networks. If I feel like restarting new accounts, I will just use an alias. It's just getting way too scary on how much data mining is currently being done. We can't even do anything in a Google service without linking it to our Google+ account. Anybody else feel the same way?

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Yep! I ended up with 2 Google+ accounts, and somehow ended up with a YouTube Page account I didn't ask for. All I wanted was my Gmail accounts and a regular YouTube account. I can't even figure out how to delete the second Google+ account.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes. I deactivated Facebook a long time ago. I was forced to install Google+ when I installed Hangouts. I stopped using Hangouts a long time ago and I deleted Google+ a while back. I hate what Google has done to YouTube. It's turning to crap just as Facebook did. Hopefully, it won't be too much longer before it gets replaced by something better. I'm tired of the BS errors about how the uploader disabled mobile playback, forced ads, copyright issues and terrible design. I'm using Vimeo as an alternative as much as possible.

4. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

I am fast getting to the point where I wish I could get away from google. But we use the robust google calendar setup to manage our very busy lives. We have a google calendar for each of us (myself, wife and two kids) that are shared so we can keep up with school activities, appts, work travel, etc. Is there another option? Would another service be any more 'private'?

Also, the kids have Android tablets so we use google hangouts for video calls. Hence the need for google+. Guess we could move to skype, though.

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'm surprised to hear this from @ZR_Yancy only because you always seem to have an Android phone, which seems so tightly connected to all of their services. I give you credit though. Sometimes, enough is enough and you need to cut the cord. Like you said, you can always go back. The YouTube/Google+ tie-in drives me nuts. YouTube has always required separate logins for their accounts. So for me, when I was running multiple sites/YouTube accounts, I had to create Gmail accounts. If that wasn't a hassle, now they want to tie it a G+ account. Honestly, I don't even have comments enabled because I'm so afraid of screwing things up with the migration. I don't want my YouTube to be tied to an account that has nothing to do with my actual site G+ account. My head hurts just thinking about it.

6. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I migrated my Calendars and contacts to iCloud, Outlook and Yahoo. For Video calls, I can just use Skype, Oovoo, etc.

7. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

You still have an Android phone or two? Do you still have a Gmail account for Google Play?

8. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

My Android devices are not as functional as their supposed to be now that they won't be connected to all the Google services. If things change for the better, which I highly doubt, I'll reconnect them but as for now, I'll just play with them anytime an update is provided on the OS but that's about it. It's funny that Android fanatics always say the Apple ecosystem is too restrictive and it's a walled garden, blah blah blah. But without connecting to all the Google services, Android devices are pretty much useless.

9. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I haven't completely shut it down yet because I'm still finding alternatives. Although, I have moved all my important Gmails to my Outlook account.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Oh yeah, that's another thing I forgot. It drives me nuts how it's always trying to switch me to a Google login in YouTube and asking which account I want to log in with. If I log in with the wrong one, it doesn't have my YouTube favorites and stuff. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one fed up with Google lately. I bet a bigger screen iPhone will draw a lot of people over. I'd be worried about how they are going to handle Nest if I had that setup.

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I got the 2nd Google+ account deleted, along with the 2nd YouTube account and the 2nd Google account. I'm not even sure how I ended up with all that. YouTube still shows 2 separate accounts on the same Google account. The one I originally created, and another that goes by my email address. ? That may be the Page. I don't see a way to delete that, without deleting the entire Google account. Google makes "managing" too difficult. And there's little in the way of customer support. When I first created a YouTube account nearly 2 years ago, they would actually reply and offer help. Not anymore. I would delete the YouTube account, but I would lose a few videos that have a minor copyright issue. Like the one I made on a boat ride and music was playing on the boat's sound system. SMH That music was obtained legally. Also a video of my sister singing with the Big Band here at a local theatre. WTF. So now I can't add those back to my camera roll because of copyright issues? It's ridiculous!

12. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

There are free apps out there that will allow you to download YouTube videos to your computer. Once on your computer, just move them into iTunes and sync.

13. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Which apps?

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

15. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Thanks. I'll try that. I may wait until I upgrade my laptop. It runs Windows XP, so I'll have to do something by April. It's old and has been having problems downloading just about anything.

16. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

I've been doing this for the past two months or so! Google are flipping taking over, they are becoming like Microsoft was back in the day.

I wish I could delete my GMail account. I switched to Outlook.com, but, I almost need to keep my GMail for Andriod devices laying around.

As much as Google have quite a few features and service right, they also have so many WRONG.

I wish someone offered a browser of service that can sync all your bookmarks to various computers, etc.

17. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Correct me if wrong but doesn't iOS and OSX do this with iCloud and Safari/Mobile Safari?

Edit: yup... Just checked. My bookmarks are all synced between my MBP and iP5s.

18. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

Honestly, now you tell me :)

*walks away to look into this...*

19. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold