Dexter

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
OMG, last Sunday's episode of Dexter was one of the best I've seen! Waiting for the next episode is killing me!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I was not expecting them to use Julia Styles in that way. They keep you on your toes, that's for sure.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yeah, I was surprised, too. I was happy to see her listed under guest appearances in the credits at the beginning. Haven't seen her in anything for a while.

Dazzle7000

Bronze
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
Yeah, I was surprised, too. I was happy to see her listed under guest appearances in the credits at the beginning. Haven't seen her in anything for a while.
Europa, since you are an avid Dexter fan perhaps you can answer a question for me regarding an episode somewhere at the end of the first season or beginning of the second. After Maria was demoted from lieutenant her replacement was a woman preoccupied with boyfriend problems. At the end of this episode was a scene with Maria and the boyfriend in bed together. There hasn't been any mention of this subplot since (I'm still making my way through Season 2). Did the writers just abandon this thread or do they get back to it later? Enquiring minds want to know :)!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I wish I could remember who that was, but it didn't go anywhere. It was a throwaway plot.

Found this on Wikipedia:

Esmee Pascal

Esmee, portrayed by Judith Scott, appears in seasons 1 and 2 of Dexter. She first appears in episode 1x12: Born Free, and has appeared in a total of 5 episodes as of the season 4 finale.

Lieutenant Esmee Pascal is a Haitian American police officer who becomes well-respected (considered a "real up-and-comer" by Captain Matthews) after being shot in the line of duty but recovering. When LaGuerta oversteps her authority and embarrasses Captain Matthews with new developments in the Ice Truck Killer case, Matthews brings Pascal in to replace her. Pascal remains Lieutenant of the department well over a month after the end of the case, earning the trust of the police officers and friendship of LaGuerta, but soon begins to crack under pressure when she starts to experience personal problems with her fiancé Bertrand. She suspects him of adultery on little real evidence, which gradually casts doubt on her rationality. Her obsession becomes so strong that she uses department resources to investigate him, tracking his phone calls and having the forensics department do tests on his shirt (stating it had the smell of another woman on it). As a result of this, Captain Matthews becomes increasingly concerned that he had made the wrong decision in replacing LaGuerta with Pascal, but LaGuerta remains stalwart, apparently standing behind Pascal on principle of loyalty. Captain Matthews is impressed by LaGuerta, believing her to have abandoned her political scheming, and returns control of the Homicide Division to LaGuerta. It is later revealed that LaGuerta manipulated the whole incident, and was the one having an affair with Pascal's fiancé in the first place to try to get rid of Pascal and get her old job back.

Yeah, they kind of just dumped the plot line when LaGuerta got her position back.

Dazzle7000

Bronze
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
Wow! Thank you, Woofus for filling me in! I looked through Wikipedia today under Dexter and did not see anything like that -- all I saw were brief summations of each episode. How did I miss that?

Okay, I went back and read that Esmee appears through Season 4. I purposely didn't read through anything after the second season because I haven't seen the newer episodes so I stopped with Season 2. I really appreciate you didn't give anything else away -- I am totally hooked on this show, strangely enough!

Dazzle7000

Bronze
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
I wish I could remember who that was, but it didn't go anywhere. It was a throwaway plot.
Funny how that scene was put in -- kind of like an afterthought. Either someone did a lousy editing job or it will make sense later. You probably saw this episode three years ago -- I just saw it a few weeks ago.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
only read if you're up-to-speed on season 5:

LaGuerta's dirty past could be coming out with this whole Lawsuit against Angel. The internal affairs guy has asked her about the "blowjob" comment on a few occasions now. Could be foreshadowing something...

Dazzle7000

Bronze
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
I'm trying very hard to not read any comments about anything after Season 2. Please don't let me stop you from posting about it -- it may be awhile till I'm up to date and I'll just have to exercise self-control :)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, let's just say that plot is not directly continued after season 2.

fsas06

Silver
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas
i LOVE this show! lol i couldnt wait for the new seaon to start to see what happeneded

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
What are your thoughts on the finale?

Spoiler:
I'm afraid they may call it quits after this season. There was no cliffhanger, no loose ends... I was hoping Deb would find out about Dexter. That would certainly have breathed new life into the series, but alas...

fsas06

Silver
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas
hopfully by me not changeing my text color i don't ruin spoilers for anyone
i hope they continue the show. the not cliffhanger or lose ends does seem like it could just end, but who knows. the show could be getting big (as in fans) and i don't see y you would end the show now. im sure they will come up with something good for the next season...hopefully lol

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
My problem with the show now is that this last season seemed quite redundant. I fear they may be running out of ideas. Killing off Rita was a nice way to get Dexter out of the family guy routine for this season, but it didn't help much. I think it really is about time for someone (Deb) to find out what he does. Status-quo is getting a little old.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
The finale was completely predictable. As with the entire season. I was hoping for a surprise at the end...but nothing happened.