DFU mode on unibody MacBook

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I've heard that the new 08 unibody MacBooks don't recognize the iPhone in DFU mode. There is a fix for it but also potential problems. I want to sync my iPhone to my new MacBook, but I'm concerned that I won't be able to restore it (if it needs to go into DFU mode) if there is a problem down the road.

This thread (Link removed, no longer accessible) explains the fix with a program and and using terminal, which doesn't seem too difficult, but the thread is 12 pages and apparently it doesn't fix the problem for everyone and can cause problems with the MacBook. The solutions become more difficult/confusing as you read beyond page one of the thread. I'm worried about screwing up my new MacBook trying to enable DFU.

My iPhone is sync'd with and was jailbroken on a Windows Vista computer that I have already sold and I need to restore it with either my XP desktop or MacBook, and I really want it sync'd with the Mac. However, If I can't jailbreak it or restore it on the Mac, I may be SOL, and forced to use the PC, which just seems insane since the iPhone is an Apple product.

1.Does anyone here have any experience with this problem or the fix?
2.Does anyone know if a future MacOsX update will fix the DFU problem, because if so, I might just wait?
3.Would I be ok to just restore my phone to factory settings and sync it on the Mac, not jailbreak :( and then if I have any problems down the road, where DFU is needed, just restore it on my PC, and then restore from backup on my Mac?

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
I think Lincoln has used this but I'm not sure about the unibody. I have one and it will not accept DFU mode. I have restored back to new setting and it went fine. It will recongoze recovery mode though. I hope they fix this in the future.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I've used this and it worked fine. Chances that it will mess up your MacBook are very, very slim. You hear about DFU not working on the unibody MacBooks only because they were shipped with 10.5.6, the OS that causes the issue. The breaking of DFU was not intentional on Apple's part - it's a bug in some kernel files - so it will most likely go away once 10.5.7 is released.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Ok cool. I'll probably just wait until 10.5.7 is released to restore and rejailbreak then. I was planning on waiting for 2.3 FW anyway, since I'm on 2.2 right now.

So what if you have an older Mac and are using latest Mac Os update (10.5.6), would you have the same problem?

Lincoln, so you have a new Mac and did the kernel fix listed on that thread and everything worked fine?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
We'll I can't believe I didn't check this earlier, but I just realized I have Mac Os X version 10.5.5. It's a unibody and I bought it in Oct 08, days after it was released. I thought I had updated to 10.5.6, but apparently I haven't. This is good news right? 10.5.5 doesn't have the broken DFU mode bug correct?. So as long as I wait until 10.5.7 is released (assuming Apple will fix the DFU mode kernel bug), I'll be fine, right?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
You'll be fine with 10.5.5. DFU works as usual with it.

HBOC

Bronze
Aug 4, 2008
Portland, Oregon
i was JB'ing a buddies ipod touch tonight and totally forgot about the DFU problem with 10.5.6. I just used an external USB hub and that is the easiest workaround that i have found.

JaGmAn

Apr 23, 2009
i have macbook with 10.5.6 with 2.2.1 firmware 3g iPhone....wont go into DFU mode....need help bad! goin out of town and need jailbreak and use teethering! thnx

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
i have macbook with 10.5.6 with 2.2.1 firmware 3g iPhone....wont go into DFU mode....need help bad! goin out of town and need jailbreak and use teethering! thnx
Three options;
1. Do the kernel fix in terminal
2. Use a USB hub (I think it has to be a powered USB hub)
3. JB it on a PC

I ended up JB'ing mine on my PC. It doesn't have to be JB on the computer you sync it with. Just find a PC, use QuickPWN, and then sync it with your Mac after you're done.