Dial 911 - New App

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Installer has a new application up that gives you an icon that when double tapped automatically calls 911. If accidentally double tapped, simply press the home button to cancel.

I imagine when caught in an emergency and in a panic, a touchscreen would be far less intuitive to use when dialing for help. This will certainly make it easier.

tylerdw89

Jul 3, 2007
What if somehow it's accidentally tapped twice and you don't hit the home button? Or someone who doesn't know about the app double taps and doesn't know how to end it.

I dunno, this one just doesn't make any sense to me.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
That's definitely something to consider. Accidentally tapping it is reasonable. but the fact it has to be skin to activate it gives it an edge compared to other touch screen devices.

And if one of your friends double taps the vibrant red fire-symboled icon reading 911, you should probably not be their friend anymore.

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I hope that they can create somethig like that to where we can use it as a speed dialer. We could assign our own numbers to it. What do you guys think?Is this something that we could possibly request?

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
i got this app and then put it on my third row of custom apps.. i also have summerboard skipping a row between the default and custom apps.. this way, itll never be on the screen when it oculd accidentally be activated.. ill always have to scroll down to the last row to get there

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I personally am not impressed with this. How hard is it really to tap the phone, then the keypad, then 911? Maybe an extra second?

(Watch, now I'll be the one raped in the night because I needed one extra second to dial 911 :p)

bliprob

Sep 18, 2007
Hey guys -- I wrote the 911 Dialer app. I wrote it because it's seven taps to call 911 now. I was personally afraid that I might need to call 911 and not be able to do so. My wife wanted a copy, then her friends wanted a copy, so I gave it to Ste to put into his app feed. And he was reluctant, too.

I'm not sure why everyone is so worried abouu accidentally using it. If you're afraid of it, just don't install it.

I've heard the suggestion to make it a general-purpose speed dialer, and I'll work on that.

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Hey guys -- I wrote the 911 Dialer app. I wrote it because it's seven taps to call 911 now. I was personally afraid that I might need to call 911 and not be able to do so. My wife wanted a copy, then her friends wanted a copy, so I gave it to Ste to put into his app feed. And he was reluctant, too.

I'm not sure why everyone is so worried abouu accidentally using it. If you're afraid of it, just don't install it.

I've heard the suggestion to make it a general-purpose speed dialer, and I'll work on that.
Yes. Thanks you. It'll be nice if you can make an option of having multiple widgets for different numbers. I personally call 3 persons everyday on multiple occasions.

chrispayer

Dec 1, 2010

Bliprob;

Please email me at chris@payerlawgroup.com. I have may have an opportunity to use your services. I need to discuss it with you.

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com

It's actually 5 and a slide to unlock. Passcode lock, slide it, emergency call, 911, and call.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe