Did a search and nothing, please help. Apps won't open.

Terry M.

Contributor
Silver
Feb 27, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
My wife's iPhone won't open all the apps. Not sure what happened. They were all working fine and now some will open but some of the games she got will open for a moment, act like they're loading and then it takes you right back to the home screen. Not jailbroken, 3G, 8gb.
Can anyone offer suggestions, short of going in and having to purchase again?
Thank you!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Did you try a restore in iTunes?

I would also recommend (first) trying to unsync all of the stuff from the phone and then resync everything. If that doesn't work then restore to factory settings in iTunes and then resync everything.

Terry M.

Contributor
Silver
Feb 27, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
No, sorry I have not. I'm really new to iPhone. I'll try that right now, thank you. I'll put my results back here. If I knew how to "thank you" on this site, I'd do it.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
If you haven't already, make sure that your contacts are either saved to the computer or elsewhere so that you do not lose them all.

Terry M.

Contributor
Silver
Feb 27, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
Alright, most of the apps are back and working (not all for some reason). But now I get an error message in iTunes saying "The iPhone 'Monica's iPhone' cannot be synced. The required disk cannot be found".
What? It looks like I'm missing the movies that I ripped for her phone and a couple of the apps like mentioned above. What happened?

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Seems like your iTunes can't find your music files. Are you using windows or Mac OS?
And have you moved any files around lately? or tidied them up?

Terry M.

Contributor
Silver
Feb 27, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
Windows xp - and the movies I had ripped and loaded were just done in the last couple days so, no, I haven't moved them. I'm at a loss.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
When I used to run Windows, this happened to me repeatedly, because I kept moving my music folder, so that iTunes could no longer find it.
Have you by any chance got a backup of your computer from before this error occurred?

Terry M.

Contributor
Silver
Feb 27, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
I don't. I just went out and uploaded the movies into iTunes again from my computer folder hoping that would point it in the right direction. Then I tried to sync again and got the same error message.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Righ, take a look at this page: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=363669

This might be a little late to help you but it might help others.

If you are getting this error as I have the only solution i have found so far is

After you hit the sync button and begin syncing your ipod simply unplug a mouse or other device plugged into another USB port. I do not know why this works but it does.

I also have found that a fix for this problem on PCs is to go to

control panel>System>Hardware Tab> Device Manager Button>Highlight your computer name>then click Scan for hardware changes button on the toolbar at the top.

Between the this seemed to fix most everyones problem even if it is a pain.

Terry M.

Contributor
Silver
Feb 27, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
Huh. Surprisingly the unplugging of the mouse worked. Crazy. Never would have guessed that. Thanks so much. Can one of you tell me how to "thank you" under your profile pic? I did a search for that since I'm sure it's on the forum somewhere but it came back with no results.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Can one of you tell me how to "thank you" under your profile pic? I did a search for that since I'm sure it's on the forum somewhere but it came back with no results.
You have to have 25 posts before the "thanks" button appears for you. Be assured that everyone knows you appreciate their help. Glad everything worked out for you.