Did anyone here get an iPhone 6 though Verizon Edge?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Europa, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Is there anyone on this forum who got a subsidized iPhone 5 or 5s through Verizon and then upgraded to an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus though Verizon Edge?

I work with a guy who got a subsidized iPhone 5 from Verizon about a year and a half ago. He is not eligible for subsidy since he's less than 24 months into his contract. I'm with AT&T and they let you keep your subsidized iPhone when you get a Next phone even if you subsidized for a 5s last October. So assuming Verizon did the same thing, I recommended Edge to my coworker. He hadn't heard of it and he was excited to go to Verizon and order a Plus. He came back to work yesterday and told me that he couldn't upgrade because they wanted to take his iPhone 5 right now and leave him phoneless while he waits several weeks for a Plus to be delivered. :confused: Are they taking subsidized phones from people or was the store rep he spoke with just an idiot? If they are taking them, that is so unfair. AT&T lets you keep the subsidized phone.

2. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

That is actually how I got my phone. If you choose to upgrade, they take your phone and you have to wait. It's the main reason I waited to upgrade until they had phones in the store.

I paid $81 on Edge to upgrade to an iPhone 6 and start a new Edge agreement.

3. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I don't know what happened, but please delete the duplicate post.

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I saw it but waited to see if you were going to do anything with it. :)

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Wow. Lame. I'm glad I stuck with AT&T. Those of us who upgraded from the 5s to iPhone 6 through Next got to keep our 5s.

6. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

So you could just sell your 5s and get a return for the cost of your iPhone 6? That is a good deal.

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

AT&T forgave a lot of 5s contracts a year early. I've already received an out-of-contract unlock approval from AT&T for my 5s.

8. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

AT&T is really generous. Now if they only had better coverage.

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Coverage is great where I live.

10. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

It is great in certain areas. All around, Verizon wins in total coverage.

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

They want to take your phone, too. They can take their "total coverage" and put it where the sun don't shine.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The only charge for the 6 was the tax. We'll make monthly payments just the same as Verzion Edge customers. We can sell the 5s for $300+ or keep it as a backup. I'm keeping mine.

13. Zzz

Zzz Contributor
    Bronze

If you have paid over 60% preferably over 80% of your balance they will not take your phone, unless you choose to trade it in and put the value you receive towards another Verizon Edge device. Technically you have to be on EDGE over 30 days and your balance over 60% paid in order for them to allow you to keep your previous phone. They can waive the remaining payments and allow you to keep your previous device if you're edging up to a new device and have most of your balance paid off. I switched to Verizon using EDGE, but I saw this with my brother and my girlfriend. They have been with Verizon and used EDGE to get their previous iPhone. When they edged up to the 6+ & the 6, they kept their old phones. My brother had 80% of his balance paid and my girlfriend had 90% of her balance paid. Verizon waved the remaining payments left on their previous iPhone's and allowed them to keep their old devices. Both sold their previous iPhone's on Craigslist, no problems. I have to say, while I am enjoying Verizon's network, their reps (and not all of them), but some need to be trained properly. They will say some off the wall s**t sometimes and they don't seem to know their plan policies nor do they read the fine print. Disappointing customer service if you ask me, SMH!!!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using iCafe App.

#13 Zzz, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  14. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I had 80% of my Edge balance paid and didn't get to keep the phone. I've never heard of them waiving the remaining payments. You have to pay the rest of the balance to EDGE up and then you can do another EDGE program or switch to a contract plan. I switched to Verizon 2 years ago.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This doesn't answer my question. I'm asking if they take people's subsidized phones, not Edge phones. I know they take Edge phones that aren't paid off. My coworker isn't a current Edge customer who is making payments on his iPhone 5. His iPhone 5 is a subsidized phone that he has had for over a year and a half. AT&T would have allowed him to keep it even if it was a subsidized 5s that was less than a year old.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

So the phone they took from you was an Edge phone? They should have taken it then.

I specifically asked about non-Edge phones. I need to know if it is normal for Verizon to take their subsidized phone when they sign up for Edge.

17. Badfishy

Badfishy Contributor
    Bronze

If the contract terms aren't fulfilled on a subsidized phone, they will take it in exchange for signing up for an edge plan. It's just a way to upgrade early.

If the contract terms are met on a subsidized plan, you keep the phone whether signing a new contract or going on an edge plan.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

My question has not been answered yet
    Thanks. I'll let him know that he has no options for a 6 Plus aside from paying full cost or waiting for it to be in stock so he can give his 5 to them and get the Plus that day.

19. Zzz

Zzz Contributor
    Bronze

Sorry, I mis-understood your question.

Just talked to my company Verizon business rep and the above answer is correct. He also explained to me that the case I mentioned when my brother and my girlfriend edged up on their plans is at Verizon's discretion if they do it or not. He said if you are very close to having your Edge balance paid off, such a transaction is allowed just not guaranteed.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using iCafe App.

20. Badfishy

Badfishy Contributor
    Bronze

No problem. I was in the same situation because my upgrade wasn't due until December. I called verizon and they pushed my upgrade early so I could get the 6. They wouldn't do that in the store so I called CS and they quickly agreed! Now a proud owner of the 6. Traded in my 5 at the store for the instant $200 credit towards my 6.