Did Apple just join the Digital Camera Market?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tfalsetta, Oct 18, 2011.

1. tfalsetta

tfalsetta New Member

Did Apple just join the Digital Camera Market ($100-$200 digital cameras) & will now crush that market too?

Apple entered the Music industry & literally crushed the portable music player industry and has dominated ever since.

Now Apple just released an 8meg 1080p video recorder in its new iPhone 4S….Like many of you I have been buying my kids digital pocket cameras over the years to either keep up with quality or replace lost/broken ones…..I have also wanted to buy one for myself for years…..BUT NOT ANYMORE!

I have seen 1080p Video’s & pictures from the new 4S and it does look as good as any $150-$200 digital camera out there on the market….

Why would anyone buy a digital camera in that price range when they can have a phone/a device that gives you the ability to not only take quality Videos/Pictures but you can send them to an email address/upload them to a web site via wireless or your carrier?

Advantages of having a quality camera/video recorder on the iPhone 4S

· All in One device
    · You can send your videos/pictures to an email address/web site to back them up after you take them to immediately free up space
    o Even if you didn’t want to hook you iPhone 4S up to a carrier…you could use the wireless capabilities to email your videos/pictures
    · Probably the biggest reason is never having to carry both devices

Now I agree that real photographers will not agree the iPhone 4S camera will do it all for them but the overwhelming majority of people use smaller $100-$200 cameras.

So do you think Sony, Canon, Nikon etc…..realize what just happened to them?

2. Test-Pilot

Test-Pilot Member
    Bronze

Unless I'm doing something wrong, I can't seem to figure out how to zoom in video mode. In stills mode, it's a simple pinch in or pinch out. But that doesn't seem to work in video mode.
    So while I agree that the 1080p video is cool to have, without zoom, it's kind of useless for the stuff I'd like to record.

3. AdrianCubed

AdrianCubed Zealot
    Gold

This is nothing new. Apple is not the first company to shoehorn a massive megapixel sensor into a phone and 8mb really isn't that much when you compare the phone to other high megapixel camera phones. The companies know that the $200 niche point and shoot camera is being phased out by camera phones, which are becoming more and more capable of taking good pictures, with the added ability to share them almost immediately. They cater directly to the person who just wants to snap a moment, and/or upload it online to other friends and isn't worried about image graininess, depth of field etc.

Like point and shoots, and camera phones they will be the go to device if say you're on the go, or just capturing a moment with friends or capturing a moment. Aside from the novelty or being able to quickly snap a video or image I personally think its still to early in the scheme of things that people are going to show up to concerts or children's performances, and record all the content with a camera phone. The only advantage camera phones have over standard point and shoots is the connectivity aspect of the device. Negating the need to have a memory stick, computer, etc.

In my opinion, the markets are still in a kind of limbo. Camera phones, Digital point and shoots, Specialty point and shoots, and then DSLR will all still be around. I doubt the iPhone will begin the phasing out of the point and shoot... and neither will any camera phone. Camera phones are at the stage where, they don't do any one thing great, but they don't exactly do anything horrible either.

The companies (Sony, Canon, Nikon etc) haven't missed out on anything. DSLR's still make a huge portion of their profits, and all three of the "big three" make their own lenses and have their own camera accessories. If I'm going to capture a birthday, or a wedding I think its safe to say for most people, they're not exactly going to start snapping pictures/video with a camera phone if they have a more capable camera.

As far as Sony/Samsung/Canon and most other camera manufacturers they make a myriad of other devices, TV, appliances, home entertainment etc. The camera market is a small piece of the pie in their profits.

They have nothing to worry about and people need to start realizing that the iPhone isn't the end all of all devices. Its no gadget killer. Apple just has a knack for taking things that have already been around, and just refining them.

4. dorrien12

dorrien12 Member
    Bronze

I took pictures inside and in great lighting they came out ok. But of people they was dark. How can they think this will replace a camera, who takes all their pictures outside? Am I doing the wrong settings?

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Your questions were answered in these two threads:
    http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/camera-zoom.80675/#post-877648
    http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/iphone-4s-camera-focus-issue.80736/#post-877647
    Please don't bump multiple threads to ask the same questions. Thanks.

6. dorrien12

dorrien12 Member
    Bronze

7. tybirdtybird

tybirdtybird Contributor
    Bronze

I don't think you can zoom In video mode. There might be an app can.

I'm thinking of selling my camera . I use my 4s more now.

Sent from my iPhone 4s BlAcK

8. beautifulliar

beautifulliar Member
    Bronze

They will be dead soon. In fact, Apple should focus more and more on the camera because everyone wants to carry around a good camera on their phone. I was thinking this year of replacing my digital camera, but decided instead to just upgrade my iPhone to the 4s. From what I've seen on here, it looks like a very good camera. If I don't like it, then I'll buy a new digital camera, but I get the feeling I'll be satisfied with the camera on the 4s. This will only motivate more people to buy an iPhone. They save around $200 on a digital camera, around $200 on an iPod and they get all that in an iPhone. It really is a good deal when you factor in all the devices it replaces. I should sell my iPod on ebay, since i never use it anymore. If I like the camera on the 4s, I'm also going to sell my digital camera.

Improving the camera is something that everyone will notice significantly. Its likely more impactful than even a bigger screen.

Bigger capacity is also a big deal because I can then carry around all my music with me. Sure, there's a the icloud, but that's a pay to use service, and even if it was free, there's the data charges. Its much easier and cheaper to buy the 64gb model and sync all my music to my iPhone. I bought the 64gb 4s in white.

9. tybirdtybird

tybirdtybird Contributor
    Bronze

If Apple would move home bottom to the side or on top . There room for 4" or bigger screen & maybe little wider screen. If they could get Siri not needing the network such be able to open apps & etc. I bet in two years the camera be 14 meg camera.

Sent from my iPhone 4s BlAcK

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Choose a forum category and select "Post New Thread."

11. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

Why would Apple move the Home button to the top of the phone or on the side? sounds a little foolish to me, the home button is the most used button on the phone, it'd be too awkward, and not smooth and simple as Apple promoted the phone to be.

Now, making the home button smaller than it is, or a touch sensitive vs tactile makes more sense, I could see that and it leaves room for a bigger screen.

12. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Member
    Bronze

Yes they did. The Icamera is by far the greatest camera ever invented even god couldn't create something so amazing....oh wait some of you do believe he is god

13. Babyt

Babyt Zealot
    Gold

No, they did not just "join" the digital camera world. Apples been in it for a long time now. Much longer then some people realize