Did I just ruin my iPhone?

Doors77

Sep 22, 2007
Early today I must of placed my iPhone, screen facing down in a small puddle of spilled contact solution. Now when i go to use it the screen doesn't pick up my finger touching the screen. Whenever i touch the screen it brings up my text messages for some reason and it actually gets stuck halfway between the icon pages when i try and go from page to page. Is there anything i can do to get dry the liquid that got inside my phone? Would the Apple store give me a new phone since im still under warranty or would this void it?:(

umbrabellator

Bronze
Jan 3, 2008
Early today I must of placed my iPhone, screen facing down in a small puddle of spilled contact solution. Now when i go to use it the screen doesn't pick up my finger touching the screen. Whenever i touch the screen it brings up my text messages for some reason and it actually gets stuck halfway between the icon pages when i try and go from page to page. Is there anything i can do to get dry the liquid that got inside my phone? Would the Apple store give me a new phone since im still under warranty or would this void it?:(
Have you tried simply resetting your phone? Hold both the home button and the button on top of the phone for several seconds until the phone turns itself off. Then, turn it back on.

I have had similar issues, and I find that resetting solves the problem. I have never set the phone in contact solution, but I doubt your issues are related to the contact solution.

Doors77

Sep 22, 2007
yes I have tried resetting it a few times but with no luck. The screen just doesn't pick up my fingers touch anymore

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Take your sim card out and put it in your old phone for a couple days. Leave the iPhone shut off in a plastic bag with uncooked rice. It's been documented many times to resurrect soaked iPhones, but it may take up to a week. If that doesn't work, you're going to have to take it back to Apple and hope to get a replacement under warranty. Did the water indicator (little white dot at the bottom of the headphone jack) turn red on you or is it still white?

umbrabellator

Bronze
Jan 3, 2008
yes I have tried resetting it a few times but with no luck. The screen just doesn't pick up my fingers touch anymore
In that case, I would agree with Psylichon. Give it time to dry out completely and then give it a shot.

If it just won't come back, take it to an Apple store.

How much contact solution was it sitting in? I mean was the phone totally socked or just a bit wet?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
If the solution caused the problem, then your warranty is voided. Hopefully, the rice trick will bring it back or if it doesn't, you'll get an unknowing clerk at the Apple store.

Good luck.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
If the water indicator did turn pink, you can take a tiny amount of bleach and apply it to the indicator and it should turn white again. I know that several people have tried this and it worked for them, thus Apple didn't know the indicator turned and the warranty wasn't voided.

Doors77

Sep 22, 2007
Ok, now only the bottom half of my phone actually picks up my finger touching it. So that means all my icons at the top of my phone don't work:(
This is really weird, why only half of my screen work? The screen looks completely normal, just top half is now useless.

Ok i just checked and my water indicator is pink, crap.

If the water indicator did turn pink, you can take a tiny amount of bleach and apply it to the indicator and it should turn white again. I know that several people have tried this and it worked for them, thus Apple didn't know the indicator turned and the warranty wasn't voided.
How exactly did they do it? Do i just put a dab of bleach on the little pink dot? It pretty far recessed, do u know what they used to do get to the dot?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Well, i think they just took a small pin (or other little grasping device) and put some cotton from a Q-tip on the end, dipped it in bleach, and then used it to turn the indicator white again. I'll search around a bit and see if I can find the exact thread.

coal0101

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Ok, now only the bottom half of my phone actually picks up my finger touching it. So that means all my icons at the top of my phone don't work:(
This is really weird, why only half of my screen work? The screen looks completely normal, just top half is now useless.

Ok i just checked and my water indicator is pink, crap.

How exactly did they do it? Do i just put a dab of bleach on the little pink dot? It pretty far recessed, do u know what they used to do get to the dot?

Maybe you should stop using it and let it dry out first. You are still using it when it may still be wet...good way to totally destroy it.

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Take your sim card out and put it in your old phone for a couple days. Leave the iPhone shut off in a plastic bag with uncooked rice. It's been documented many times to resurrect soaked iPhones, but it may take up to a week. If that doesn't work, you're going to have to take it back to Apple and hope to get a replacement under warranty. Did the water indicator (little white dot at the bottom of the headphone jack) turn red on you or is it still white?
I never knew there was a "water indicator" and I still don't see a little white dot at the bottom of the headphone jack. Can someone tell me exactly where this is located and what it actually does ? Thanks in advance. Cheers !

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I never knew there was a "water indicator" and I still don't see a little white dot at the bottom of the headphone jack. Can someone tell me exactly where this is located and what it actually does ? Thanks in advance. Cheers !
Shine a flashlight into your headphone jack. The bottom part is shiny white plastic that should reflect the light back at you. That's it.

And to the original poster, I agree.... stop messing with your phone and leave it off for a while like we said! It can continue to damage the phone to operate it in this condition. Your only hope at this point is a bag of rice and time.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Can someone tell me exactly where this is located and what it actually does ? Thanks in advance. Cheers !
The water indicator is used by Apple to show when a phone has gotten wet. All cell phones have them somewhere. On Motorolas, the moisture indicator is usually under the battery in the battery compartment. There may be another moisture indicator inside the guts of the phone as well. If the service department finds these indicators already turned red, then the warranty is voided. You can usually get your phone replaced anyway, it's just not replaced under warranty. If it's not under warranty, then it will cost $250 for a refurbished iPhone.

Doors77

Sep 22, 2007
Ok im going to keep it off in a rice bag for a few days like you guys suggested.

Also I noticed that after I restored my phone that the ZiPhone icon is still on my phone. I would just delete it but since the icon is located on the top where my phone is unresponsive I have no way to delete it. Anyone know any other ways to delete it?

I figure if the rice trick don't work I'll just try and bleach my water indicator and bring it back and hope for the best.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Ok im going to keep it off in a rice bag for a few days like you guys suggested.

Also I noticed that after I restored my phone that the ZiPhone icon is still on my phone. I would just delete it but since the icon is located on the top where my phone is unresponsive I have no way to delete it. Anyone know any other ways to delete it?

I figure if the rice trick don't work I'll just try and bleach my water indicator and bring it back and hope for the best.
If you are taking it back to Apple, then restore but do not restore from a backup, set up as a new phone so that there is no trace of jailbreak.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It's just a webclip... it links to a webpage. Although, its mere presense indicates to me that you restored from a previous backup after the iTunes restore. This isn't a totally clean restore... you should setup the iPhone as a new device. This means you will have to have your contacts, calendar, etc. synced to an external program like Outlook, iCal, Address Book, etc... restoring them from a backup will give you jailbreak residuals!