Did I KILL my 2G iPhone with Bootneuter 2.1?!

Aug 26, 2009
Did I KILL my 2G iPhone with Bootneuter 2.1?!
After trying for a few days to JB and unlock my 2G 8gig iPhone with redsn0w 0.7 and 0.8 using different iTunes versions to put 3.0 FM, I still did not have any lock unlocking the phone to use with t-mobile SIM, iPhone did not see SIM!
So then after visiting all kinds of forums and reading, plus youtube, I found that I might have needed to download and install BootNeuter through Cydia, did that, followed instructions and tried to Neuter/Flash 3.9 and 4.6 bootloaders with all things checked ON, and of course eachtime I did DFU mode restart and then Shift Restore in iTunes with 3.0 FM IWSP file I downloaded, and then JB and do the Bootneuter/Flash for each band I flashed each time, then on the last attemt I reflashed it on the same 3.9 band but turning OFF FakeBlank at this time, and it got stock in flashing with POP UP screen"Do not Interupt" screen for like 15min, so I reset the iPhone thinking it got stock with holding corner and home buttons. It reloaded for a long time.I checked and iPhone general setting and the modem firmware and all the MAC addresses are gone, blank (See pics)! Now iTunes does not recognize contents on the phone, and error messege comes up that it does not see iPhone contents and when I try to restore the same way to get the update 3.0 on it so I can re-JB it, it give me error 23 !
I tried DFU reset and SHift Restore to 3.0 or right to 3.0.1 through iTunes and it give me the error. When I went to Bootneuter it "Determins Settings" and give me error POP UP saying that it does not see CommBoard and Bootloader failed to communicate or something! I tried re-JB the phone just like this, it completed with redsn0w and when at the end BootNeuter 2.1 came on and it gave me the same error that it does not see the Bootloader, then JB completed and I still have blank for everything in general settings, plus the Bootneuter app is gone from Springboard now, my Wi-Fi does not work either.
Did I kill the phone? Anyone had this problem and how do you fix it? Please.. I was ready to somehow downgrading it to 2.2.1 with quickpwn, like I origionaly installed for my wife and hse has no problem with 2.2.1, but now I am stock.. Thank you.
I found a link here[/url] from 2007 where the guy had same issue on iPhone and people tried to help him, it is a little involved with command based apps like AppTappInstaller.exe, PACAY and iBrickr_0.91. I wanted to see if this is the only way or there is other way and newer programs. I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 26, 2009
no one?! Is it that bad? I see it is doable as per this old thread I found on the web on the other forum:
www . iPhonealley . com / forums/showthread.php?t=1936
"Need Repair" : "No Wi-Fi" + Modem Firmware blank - iPhone Alley Forums"
Any hacker on here knows how to do it for 2G, that one was for 2G I think as well.. A step by step would be nice plus where to download these apps, from a trusted source..

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Put it in DFU mode and restore and upgrade to 3.0.1. Then save the 3.0 IPSW file, 3.0.0 (2G): iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw to your desktop. Then use need redsn0w 0.8 to jailbreak and unlock with the 3.0 IPSW. You will not be downgraded to 3.0, you'll stay on 3.0.1. It will tell you when to use the bootneuter. When redsn0w is done, your SIM will activate.

Aug 26, 2009
thank you for the reply. I tried that many times with DFU restore and never been successful, I did it with 3GS that my friend has, so that is why I stated above that I tried switching iTunes with like 4 different versions, redn0w 0.7 and 0.8, and then found a post about manual BootNeuter app download and do the Bootloader Flash, which screwed me up to this point, that is how I was able to try to JB, but it did not work, so I started looking for alternatives. Now it does not restore to 3.0.1 or 3.1 at all, and when I go to Bootneuter APP, it checks settings and gives an error that can not communicate to CommBoard and exits out to WhinterBoard, when I go to setting, general, there modem firmware and all MAC address are gone, so I need something more involved then just plain old JB and restore, since I am getting all these errors and phone is locked out and looks like I lost wi-fi..

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Let's deal with step one first.
What does the screen look like right now (connect to iTunes image, black, etc)? Will it turn on?

Just checking, are you 100% sure you know how to correctly put it in DFU mode (some people think recovery mode is DFU mode)?

Aug 26, 2009
Thank you for taking your time to help. Yes, it is weird the way it now turns on. Before, when I tried to JB and Unlock many times to where it still did not see my T-Mobile SIM, I just turned the phone off, pressed home and corner botton for like 10secs until I got Apple logo and I let the corner botton go and iTunes would see the phone and ask to recover it, I SHIFT Restore to 3.0 ISPW file and then turn off the phone and load JB 0.8 or 0,7 with Unlock and Cydia and Icy checked loading 3.0 ISPW file and boot BIN files, it does its thing, then at the end I see BootNeuter check settings and phone Unlocks, where I can go into see all the icons on the board, load and update all updates on Cydia, and after reload it still did not see SIM!

Then I started browsing and found BootNeuter procedure for 2G phones and installed it on springboard from Cydia and followed instructions to flash Bootloader 3.9 and 4.6 with all things ON, I JB 2 times to flash each individual Bootloader, then last night after waiting for it to Flash 15min, I thought it hung up since the little flower was not rotating when it said "Do not Disturb" I pressed corner and home button until the phone turned off and thats when I lost my Modem firmware and all MAC addresses after it loaded very long, the SIM corner says Searching.

I can browse the springboard, etc, but can't restore with iTunes or use wi-fi and get those errors and messeges. I found a "Forced Restore" by Holding home button then plugging in USB cord, it does not show wide USB cord on iPhone like on pics of that procedure I saw but long cord with narrow head USB on iPhone connecting to iTunes pic, couldn't restore either.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Here's the steps and the files.http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4302

Before starting these steps, update iTunes and then restore your phone and upgrade it to 3.0.1. If you get an error message, a few things you could try are, a different USB port, a new USB cord, a different computer.

Aug 26, 2009
Thats the procedure I pretty much followed. It worked good, never unlocked the SIM though even when my phone was OK and did not have these errors and the firmware of the modem and MAC addresses were showing, I think the problem is more invloved then this, but I will try my laptop next. I was reading on other forum and old post from 2008 when people had same issue and had to manualy update iPhone with like a back DOS like menu in the background of the iPhone

Aug 26, 2009
Europa, did not work. Bootloader not responding POP UP come on, I updated the text and put pics of the phone

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You need to restore first.

Aug 26, 2009
thats the point, it does not restore anymore like it used to, it gives me an error in iTunes, i tried it all..

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Everything? You tried using a brand new Apple iPhone USB cable, a different USB port, deleting the firmware and redownloading it, using a different computer, reinstalling iTunes and restoring with the computer in safe mode?

Aug 26, 2009
well, everything worked fine until last night. I JBed this phone and restored it at least 15 times in the last 2 days, all this happened last night after I rebooted iPhone while it was doing BootNeuter Flash when I thought it was stock flashing it, dumb me! So it would not be the problem, with cable, usb port, computer, iTunes,etc, come on, it is the problem with the phone system inside, on the software level, it erased all the software for the boot of the antenna I guess, that is why he phone sees no mac addresses or modem firmware, see the pics on top?

Aug 26, 2009
where the smart hackers and developers at to help? come on guys..

ipwn3gs

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
where the smart hackers and developers at to help? come on guys..
if dfu and 3.0.1 fails... only thing i can think of ( since i been here before with my touch ) is to try get older version of iTunes and restore it back to 2.2.1.

to be honnest i don't remember which version of iTunes was out back in day... so if anybody can help ill find you download link.

Aug 29, 2009
Here's your answer...

Try this...when you use redsn0w 0.8 make sure "UNLOCK" isn't checked. Odds are you don't need to update your baseband. I had the same problem recently and this is what worked for me.

Aug 26, 2009
well my Baseband settings are gone as you see in general settings, I tried running redsn0w 0.8 again after this happened, it completed but I am still missing all those settings in the general settings screen..

Can I somehow take the jalbreak stuff of the phone and bring it back to Apple and exchange it under warranty? My friend returned his broken iPhone out of warranty to Apple, paid $250 for this one and returned that broken one to them, and sold it to me?! What if I can take all the JB stuff off, brinf it to them, show it to them that it does not work, and all baseband, and all mac addresses are gone, say that the phone got stock, I reset it, and got this now?! You think it would fly? Instead of trying to fix it? I have Cydia and Icy on the Springboard right now. I can go to Icy and delet all JB stuff, or I can't?

Aug 26, 2009
if dfu and 3.0.1 fails... only thing i can think of ( since i been here before with my touch ) is to try get older version of iTunes and restore it back to 2.2.1.

to be honnest i don't remember which version of iTunes was out back in day... so if anybody can help ill find you download link.

I tried to DFU and restore to 2.2.1, I get the same error, I will try to maybe get old iTunes and restore to like 1.4.1..

Aug 26, 2009
yes. I downgrade iTunes to 7.5, downloaded 1.1.4 FW. DFU, Shift restore, it did not give me the 24 or 1660 error any more, it actually did some progress, it got passed that point, and I got a black background with white Apple logo and flower on the bottom of the iPhone screen spinning like it is in progress, then iTunes actually said restoring iPhone, then it changed to restoring firware on the iPhone! I am getting closer to something. This was last night, then I read this old sticky "1011 error fix (work in progress)" downloaded Mobile Terminal, iLiberty+, iPlus, iBrickr, and Total Commander. I launched iLiberty and try to follow the steps but got stock on not able to activate, downgrade, unlock, and JB, it said to first Boot something. Anyway, i reset the iPhone while it was doing the Root Menu something, iPhone started with bunch of codes running down the screen and before I reset it, I had a screen with iTunes logo and a USB narrow head cable on iPhone screen, and a pop up messege the iPhone needs repair. So after that code on the screen, I went to sleep, Today I did the same thing, and the whole process took like 25 minutes while I had iLiberty launched and was watching the process on the bottom of iliberty as it said it was restoring iPhone in DFU mode! iTunes at this time was still on the restoring firmware, then iliberty said it finished the restore and it was in Recovery mode, iPhone had that same logo with iTunes and usb cable and same pop up, while iTunes did not give me any error and still said that it is restoring firmware.

I used iliberty and pressed on jump out of recovery mode, it did successfuly and on iliberty on the bottom it said normal mode ready, as iTunes now had a messege to put a valid sim card in iPhone! Same as before I lost baseband and all those general settings and restored it 20 times to 3.0 before JB with redsn0w. As per that thread now I ran iliberty and select JB, Downgrade bootloader and clicked go for it.

iTunes is still in the mode of restoring firmware! eventhough it already said it is not seeing a valid SIM! iliberty gave me an error communicating with iPhone and said to make sure it is paired with iTunes and it is in normal mode. iTunes sees iPhone on the left side of the screen but still in progress restoring firware, iliberty sais it is ready on the bottom and it is in normal mode?! Hmmm.. I am following the steps correctly..

NOw what?! Also on iPhone when I slide the slider I get the keypad like you get when you do not have the sim or the proper sim, asking for the code or dial emergency.. I click on info on the iPhone it says IMEI: Uknown, ICCID:Uknown with POP UP Repair needed..