Did I mess up?

Mar 23, 2009
At&t is now offering no contract iPhones only to AT&T customer. Since At&t is not my carrier the no contract plan is not available to me. Got an iPhone from ebay. I know how to jailbreak and unlock but not sure how to get service from At&t without being an existing customer. I'm sure it's been discussed but can't find a straight forward answer. Can someone please perhaps post a link or a quick answer? Thanks!

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
Thanks for reading, Verizon.
No problem...well, unfortunately, you wont be able to use your iPhone on Verizon's network seeing as how big red uses CDMA, while the iPhone is GSM. As for getting service with AT&T, couldn't you just simply walk in and say you'd like to start a new contract, but that you already have a phone?

Mar 23, 2009
No problem...well, unfortunately, you wont be able to use your iPhone on Verizon's network seeing as how big red uses CDMA, while the iPhone is GSM. As for getting service with AT&T, couldn't you just simply walk in and say you'd like to start a new contract, but that you already have a phone?
Yes, that is easy enough but I was hoping to get the go phone, no contract deal through a hack. As far as I know the data plan costs less. Is it possible? Thanks again!

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
Yes, that is easy enough but I was hoping to get the go phone, no contract deal through a hack. As far as I know the data plan costs less. Is it possible? Thanks again!
Sorry dude, but I don't know if the Go Phone plans work with the iPhone

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I believe the whole GoPhone thing has been done before on an iPhone. "Pimpboy51" on this site does something similar with his iPhone.

pilgore

Mar 29, 2009
Go to Wal-mart and sign up for a contract iPhone and then a few days later within return days, Call AT&T tell them you returned the iPhone back to Wal-Mart (you lie of course) and tell them that the wal-mart associate didn't cancle the contract for you. so Just tell them you want it cancled make up an excuse like there service sucked or something haha.
And then you should be all set with that.

Now that the hard part is over you should be able to use any AT&T
Pre-Paid sim card in the iPhone if not you can go onto Amazon and pick up a rebel card for cheap and use it on the iPhone for the Pre-paid sim or any other post-paid contract sim.

By the way,
I've had AT&T for a while, 2 iPhones with them, I got the White 16gb 3G about a month ago and because AT&T sucks I went and ported my number onto a T-mobile 2 year contract sim and picked up the
Ismart Sim3G card off amazon for 12 bucks with S&H got it within a few days and my Phone works great with T-mobile just jailbroken on 2.2.1 firmware and 2.30 BB

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Go to Wal-mart and sign up for a contract iPhone and then a few days later within return days, Call AT&T tell them you returned the iPhone back to Wal-Mart (you lie of course) and tell them that the wal-mart associate didn't cancle the contract for you. so Just tell them you want it cancled make up an excuse like there service sucked or something haha.
That's a hell of a loop hole if it really works. Do you know anyone that has ever gotten away with it? I'm guessing that AT&T would have a way of verifying if the phone was really returned to Wal-Mart and wouldn't so willingly cancel your contract. They probably anticipated things like this when Wal-Mart started carrying iPhones.

Mar 23, 2009
Just curious Europa, why do you think At&t sucks?

sstalk

Bronze
Mar 25, 2009
Lakeside, CA
Try to avoid throwing objects at me, but...I kind of like AT&T. I know it's not cool to like a big huge corporate entity. But they have improved my cell service, many times over, inside my home. And they have established coverage way out in nowhere California along the Colorado River. I really like being able to make and receive calls when I want to from the desert.

When AT&T first joined with Cingular I thought that was the end of my happy cell life, but I am glad I didn't leave.

Mar 23, 2009
Try to avoid throwing objects at me, but...I kind of like AT&T. I know it's not cool to like a big huge corporate entity. But they have improved my cell service, many times over, inside my home. And they have established coverage way out in nowhere California along the Colorado River. I really like being able to make and receive calls when I want to from the desert.

When AT&T first joined with Cingular I thought that was the end of my happy cell life, but I am glad I didn't leave.
Just wondering Sstalk, doesn't t-mobiles edge suck compared to 3g? Thanks

sstalk

Bronze
Mar 25, 2009
Lakeside, CA
Just wondering Sstalk, doesn't t-mobiles edge suck compared to 3g? Thanks
I have never been a t-mobile customer, but before I got my iPhone some of my coworkers let me play with their new touchscreen blackberry's. And I wasn't very impressed with its download speed while surfing the net. I did have a 3G razor before my iPhone and the iPhone is definitely faster than the 3G razor. I'm sure this is company related due to the data package for the iPhone from AT&T.

unnecessary

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008

Now that the hard part is over you should be able to use any AT&T
Pre-Paid sim card in the iPhone if not you can go onto Amazon and pick up a rebel card for cheap and use it on the iPhone for the Pre-paid sim or any other post-paid contract sim.

By the way,
I've had AT&T for a while, 2 iPhones with them, I got the White 16gb 3G about a month ago and because AT&T sucks I went and ported my number onto a T-mobile 2 year contract sim and picked up the
Ismart Sim3G card off amazon for 12 bucks with S&H got it within a few days and my Phone works great with T-mobile just jailbroken on 2.2.1 firmware and 2.30 BB

Thats not going to work. You will eventually receive a bill from AT&T with pro-rated charges and the full retail value of the phone.