Did I overpay for for a silver 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by liberated, Jan 17, 2014.

1. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

So I'm browsing the market place at work and I see this ad for a new unopened silver 16GB 5s. They wanted $560.00, I offered $375.00 (I know low ball), we settled for $ 400.00. I bought it because my son needed a new iPhone. I bought him a used like new (in box with unused accessories) white 5c the other day for $360.00 on eBay (I'll be listing it again), but now he gets a 5s. Do you think I paid too much for the 5s?

2. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

No I don't think so. An unlocked 16gb iPhone 5s is $650 so I think in that aspect you made a sweet deal. Now my question to you is it a gsm (AT&T, T-Mobile) or CDMA (Sprint, Verizon) iPhone? The reason I ask this is because if it's a CDMA it could have a bad esn and you won't be able to activate the phone. Of it's for a GSM network then your fine.

3. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Thanks, it's a gsm AT&T, the guy works at the same place as me so I know where to find him if there's something wrong lol

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's a great contract-free, new phone price.

I think I remember you saying he currently has an iPhone 4. That's quite the upgrade so I'm sure he'll love the 5s.

You used his upgrade for your 5s, which is why you're getting this one unsubsidized, right?

5. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Thanks Europa, yes you are correct on both counts! Yes I used his upgrade for my 5s leaving him stuck but since I pay the bills, I won LOL! I'm just glad Inaas able to get him this, he's a good young man that never asks for anything so this makes me feel good. He plays games on his phone so he will definitely love this!

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Looks like you got a really good deal.

7. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Thanks! I've scored some good deals at work, I'm surprised people don't know the true value of things, I'm always willing to help them part with their electronics, specially when they are made by Apple :D

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Considering the way iPhones keep their resale value, that's a good price.

9. Njshoremom4gurlz

Njshoremom4gurlz Contributor
    Silver

Great deal ;-) my daughter was willing to pay two days ago but will wait to aprol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. iByron

iByron Member
    Bronze

Yes very good deal. I see 5s listed still $450 + used

11. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

...that is a good deal. Even Best Buy have used iPhone 5s for $671...

12. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Thanks everyone, it's good to hear this, we all like to get the best deal we can :)

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

That's how Mindi got me; I was on the "discontinued" table.

14. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Luckily she had a some tokens left and was able to hit "continue" before it was too late. :D

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I was still pretty much a white box purchase.

16. Bmichael78

Bmichael78 New Member

Great deal! I just paid $430 for mine brand new from Virgin Mobile (...the SHAME...)
    I wanted T-Mobile but I cannot justify spending $600+ on a phone right now :-/

Sent from my iPad using iCafe Forums

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

It could be worse - you could be on Sprint.

I love watching my sister when we all go out to lunch or dinner as she struggles to load web content on 3G (because Sprint coverage sucks in our area) and I'm surfing merrily away on LTE on AT&T. She just locked herself into another contract when she got a Galaxy S4, so her suffering won't be ending anytime soon. She gets 3G at home and just about everywhere else in the area. So much for choosing your carrier based on coverage instead of plan prices.

EDIT: We all went to Olive Garden today for lunch and she wanted to show our stepmother a JibJab video. It kept buffering so much that she finally stopped trying and gave up on it. Meanwhile, I'm downloading a 720p video using MxTube on 4G (couldn't get LTE inside the restaurant). It took a few seconds, then I started watching it. AT&T has great coverage in my area. To me it defies logic that someone would choose a carrier with abysmal coverage where they live. "Oh, but my Sprint bill is cheaper than yours and we have unlimited data..."

There's a good reason for that.

18. Bmichael78

Bmichael78 New Member

It IS worse...Virgin Mobile uses Sprint's network :-/

19. Mthoroughbred

Silver

Sprint owns Virgin Mobile. They merged back in 2009 I think. So having Virgin mobile is having sprint.

20. Mthoroughbred

Silver

Sorry dint realized you had posted that as well lol