Did iOS 5 update trying to jailbreak with redsnow, not working

lgp927

Bronze
Nov 23, 2009
I did all the steps and it all seemed to go fine until it uploaded , it shows the cydia icon but its blank and when i click on it it doesn't do anything . anyone else has this problem?

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
No. But I was just getting ready to try it. Maybe I will hold off until someone is successful. I am going to try it on my 3GS, which has the old boot rom and should be untethered.

lgp927

Bronze
Nov 23, 2009
yes i cant figure it out now all my apps are crashing , email screen is white . might have to do a new restore

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Has anyone else tried the new version of Redsn0w on 5.0?

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
It works well. Pointed to the IPSW without a problem. I'm going back to stock though. I have endless safemode and I'll wait until there are more compatible tweaks available and the untether is avail.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
I went for it. Worked like a charm. Took less than 5 minutes. The only App that doesn't seem to be working is xBackup! So that proved to be a useful recovery tool. :eek:

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
Hmmmm. I only loaded SBSettings and it went into an endless safe mode. I know I could hard reset and try it again but I think I'm gonna try stock for a little bit.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Hmmmm. I only loaded SBSettings and it went into an endless safe mode. I know I could hard reset and try it again but I think I'm gonna try stock for a little bit.
Hmm. I have SBSettings and no problem. Are you on 3GS or iPhone 4?

lgp927

Bronze
Nov 23, 2009
I tried it a few more times and kept doing the same thing so I guess no JB for now !

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
SwitcherMod seemed to crash the springboard, so I uninstalled that and all seems stable right now.

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
iPhone 4.

I like the iOS 5 stock OK for now. I really only wanted sbsettings, folderenhancer, infiniboard and infinidock. Of those only one is compatible right now so no big loss.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Can anyone confirm to me that iOS 5 is safe to JB even if it is tethered?

-EDIT -

I got everything taken care of. I had to put it in DFU mode first.

To answer the first post, the reason Cydia is a white blank icon is because you have to boot it tethered after you successfuly Jailbreak.

However, I can't seem to boot tethered at this point. It keeps sending me into Recovery Mode. I'm quitting for now. BTW FYI I am using RedSnow 0.9.9B5 for Mac. I finally got JB Tethered and everything seemed fine, but now I am experiencing my iPhone restarting by itself and all these other issues, like the screen going black and white and acting like it's loading something with the Apple logo behind the icons. I am restoring to factory iOS5 and will not JB until all this stuff is fixed.

fijiman

Contributor
Silver
Feb 13, 2011
UK
Can anyone confirm to me that iOS 5 is safe to JB even if it is tethered?

-EDIT -

I got everything taken care of. I had to put it in DFU mode first.

To answer the first post, the reason Cydia is a white blank icon is because you have to boot it tethered after you successfuly Jailbreak.

However, I can't seem to boot tethered at this point. It keeps sending me into Recovery Mode. I'm quitting for now. BTW FYI I am using RedSnow 0.9.9B5 for Mac. I finally got JB Tethered and everything seemed fine, but now I am experiencing my iPhone restarting by itself and all these other issues, like the screen going black and white and acting like it's loading something with the Apple logo behind the icons. I am restoring to factory iOS5 and will not JB until all this stuff is fixed.
Did you "select IPSW" of 5.0 and then "Just boot" in the Extras folder...? was your timing off when trying to enter DFU...? been using a Tethered jailbreak since ios 5.0GM, after many crashes trying to work out what works well together and what doesn't I'm really happy with my iPhone 4. A tethered jailbreak is pretty easy to live with in my opinion.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Yes, you're right. A tethered JB is pretty easy to live with. However, this JB just did not work out. I got all the way to downloading PKGBackup and restoring Cydia apps, but nothing was working. SBSettings wasn't working, nothing. And my iPhone kept vibrating a bunch and would literally restart on it's own and then not boot up period. And I couldn't get it into booting tethered mode. Also the screen kept going black and white with Apple logo loading screen behind the icons.

Currently, I am back to regular iOS 5 no JB.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
If I do the tethered jailbreak now on the iPad 1, will I have to restore to stock and re-jailbreak when (if) an untethered one is released?

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
If I do the tethered jailbreak now on the iPad 1, will I have to restore to stock and re-jailbreak when (if) an untethered one is released?
That's up to you. You can stay on the tethered jailbreak (correct me if I'm wrong). If you want to go to the untethered jailbreak when it's out, you must restore and then use the untethered jailbreak method once it's out.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
That's up to you. You can stay on the tethered jailbreak (correct me if I'm wrong). If you want to go to the untethered jailbreak when it's out, you must restore and then use the untethered jailbreak method once it's out.
I can live with tethered on iPad since it almost never leaves the house anyway. I would really like to try 5.0 pn the iPad but don't want to be without multi finger gestures and Action Menu and Double At and . . . ;)

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I can live with tethered on iPad since it almost never leaves the house anyway. I would really like to try 5.0 pn the iPad but don't want to be without multi finger gestures and Action Menu and Double At and . . . ;)
I agree. As of right now, I am having issues with the tethered JB on iOS 5, so I am staying stock for now. Being tethered isn't all that bad. I rarely shut my phone off, and the battery never runs out. But then sometimes you download something from Cydia that makes you reboot. :(

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I agree. About the only time I have to reboot is due to a Cydia download or upgrade.
Yep, it's a sad day when that happens. I can't wait to get the untethered JB. The tethered JB isn't working out this time. :(