Did Jony Ive forget to get rid of a bit of skeumorphism here and there?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I noticed that if you look at the Notes app, you really aren't getting a plain white screen. You're actually getting what mimics high-quality textured paper. Just compare the background of this text I'm writing here with the background of the text in the screenshot immediately below.

photo.PNG

Now for exhibit B. This one's a real doozie. In the picture below--that is a glass shelf, is it not? And those are albums, containing individual pages, are they not? I added an obscenely large and bright magenta arrow pointing to shelf in question, just in case your eyesight was severely compromised when you stared at the total solar eclipse of November 13th, 2013.

Attachment-1.png

So, what exactly is going on here? Is Skeuomorphism on its way out, or was Apple not as thorough in eliminating it as it should have been?

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I noticed that if you look at the Notes app, you really aren't getting a plain white screen. You're actually getting what mimics high-quality textured paper. Just compare the background of this text I'm writing here with the background of the text in the screenshot immediately below.

View attachment 31496

Now for exhibit B. This one's a real doozie. In the picture below--that is a glass shelf, is it not? And those are albums, containing individual pages, are they not? I added an obscenely large and bright magenta arrow pointing to shelf in question, just in case your eyesight was severely compromised when you stared at the total solar eclipse of November 13th, 2013.

View attachment 31497

So, what exactly is going on here? Is Skeuomorphism on its way out, or was Apple not as thorough in eliminating it as it should have been?
What app is the second photo from?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I don't think Jony is necessarily anti-skeuomorphism. Just so long as it doesn't get in the way of a clean, functional design. That being said, I don't get the notes app (or the reminders app) either. I would have preferred a flat yellow like a post-it-note. Slightly skeuomorphic, but still flat.

But I think you're looking at the old iPhoto. The new update looks like this:

om6mQnU.png

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
^ Yes, that's what my iPhoto looks like.

I guess they fixed it.

I like the textured high quality note paper of the Note pad. Looks nice.

@Rafagon, you think it should look different how? The change is rather nice. I wouldn't mind if they gave us the option to customize it to lined pages again.