Did this happen to anyone else after 1.1.2?

S.Gitlin

Jul 18, 2007
My edge is working fine and I can load pages as I normally would. However, my edge symbol next to the AT&T logo is a blank box with no E inside of it. Not sure what the hell is going on here. Occasionally the E will pop back in there, but for the most part its a solid box. Any input? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

mobilehavoc

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
That means you are running GPRS not EDGE. GPRS is slower version of EDGE to keep it simple. They did this because in UK not all places have EDGE so there is a way to know when you're on EDGE or GPRS.

As far as I know though, most of the US is EDGE with AT&T so if you move around (especially in cities/urban areas) and it's still a blank solid box you might have a problem.

S.Gitlin

Jul 18, 2007
Na, that sounds about right. I'm in an office building so the signal isn't always perfectly strong. Thanks for the info.

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I don't think so. This issue only happened today, after last night's update. And in a place where I had gotten Edge every day previously (strong signal).
I think you should reread the explanation, and rethink your assumptions.

mobilehavoc

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
I don't think so. This issue only happened today, after last night's update. And in a place where I had gotten Edge every day previously (strong signal).
Ok so either that means there's something wrong with your iPhone - which I highly doubt the 1.1.2 update could do - OR most likely all this time you were running on GPRS but the iPhone didn't have the ability to tell you so..until now. Thank Apple! :D

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Uh, no. Read the rest of the posts here. I'm not the only one. Oh, one more item - I worked for AT&T Wireless for 3 years. GPRS isn't it.
uh just because yoiu had a signal doesn't mean that you werent running GPRS. there was no way of knowing if you were on that or edge before, and before this update, i have had this happen, (not the e missing) but pretty ok signal, with slow internet than usual.

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Uh, no. Read the rest of the posts here. I'm not the only one. Oh, one more item - I worked for AT&T Wireless for 3 years. GPRS isn't it.
I can see where my previous reply may have seemed rude...I apologize for a poorly written post.

I only meant that

a) in the US edge coverage is almost universal, so Apple felt no need to differentiate between edge and GPRS. so if you had any signal at all, it would just show the E

b) In europe Edge coverage not as good, so Apple for what ever reason, decided to make that distinction, possibly because of complaints as this was not noticed in 1.1.1

c) as a result, in those places where you always thought you were getting, you now know that you were not.

I know nothing about any of this, but what I have read in this thread, and you worked for AT&T, so if you think that reasoning doesn't hold up, I trust you.