did traffic ever recover from the domain change?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I was wondering if traffic recovered from the domain change from everythingiPhone.com to everythingiCafe.com. It sure doesn't seem like it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I really don't think it did.

I used to able to sit here in front of my Mac and post for an hour. Now I can usually get it all covered in about 15 minutes. It's sad.

- John

iFuNk

Bronze
Oct 25, 2007
i agree with you guys ... before that period of time .. i would be able to always find new threads to read and comment on .. now it feels like it has slowed down to a snails pace ... its almost as if Apple killed our iPhone spirit

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i don't understand why, though... the old URL directs you here, doesn't it?

or does it have to do with search engines or something?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I've noticed it.

I think part of the problem might be related to the change in Forums that occurred at nearly the same time. In hindsight it might not have been a good idea to do that at that particular time.

I find it a bit more cumbersome to check out the Modifications, Software, and Third Party forums (along with iPhone and General), whereas before it was primarily iPhone and Software, with a little Modifications and General thrown in for good measure.

Obviously, I think the new domain name was a factor too. I believe everythingifone was already taken too. OTOH, there was some discussion over at MMi about finding a lawyer in order to see just how much bite Apple had in this area (forcing domain changes). If MMi reverts back to its original domain I guess we'll know how that turned out. ;)

--
Mike

rumpelgeist

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Let's face it, though, the reality is that this kind of stuff is going to have a slow drop-off as people get used to their phones and as the excitement inevitably dies down.

I would imagine if Apple released a brand new phone today, the traffic would jump through the roof again.

I'm not convinced that it has anything to do with the domain name change.

Rumpelgeist

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Ohhhhhh, so that is why it seems so dead around here. I used to never come back to see my name as the last comment in a thread.

I recommend this site to everyone with an iPhone and think we all should due to the overall quality the site and user base.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Could also be due to the fact that we have all discussed and covered literally everything about the iPhone. The big one being unlocking the phone. It has been covered a billion times now.

There is only so much you can talk about one thing. I mean Jessica Alba is hot, but you can only talk about her for so long right? Then you get bored and move onto Jessica Biel.

Apple has not addressed hardly anything that people want (MMS, copy/paste etc). They are so hell bent on trying to "lockdown" the iPhone, that functionality has been forgotten about. Either that or they are concentrating on V2 of the iPhone. Eventually people get sick and move onto another phone. Right now people are going nuts on the AT&T 8925 (Tilt) on their discussion site.

I talk to my mates in the UK and they say the iPhone looks nice, but no one is buying it. It's too expensive and it's not catching on. I can't see Apple hitting 10 million phones next year.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Could also be due to the fact that we have all discussed and covered literally everything about the iPhone. The big one being unlocking the phone. It has been covered a billion times now.

There is only so much you can talk about one thing. I mean Jessica Alba is hot, but you can only talk about her for so long right? Then you get bored and move onto Jessica Biel.

Apple has not addressed hardly anything that people want (MMS, copy/paste etc). They are so hell bent on trying to "lockdown" the iPhone, that functionality has been forgotten about. Either that or they are concentrating on V2 of the iPhone. Eventually people get sick and move onto another phone. Right now people are going nuts on the AT&T 8925 (Tilt) on their discussion site.

I talk to my mates in the UK and they say the iPhone looks nice, but no one is buying it. It's too expensive and it's not catching on. I can't see Apple hitting 10 million phones next year.
Seems like the UK was eager for the iPhone when it wasn't available there officially. Now that it is, with pricing, locking, and features that aren't deemed by many there as competitive, it doesn't seem to be selling all that well.

IMO, Apple needs to get a real update out. Alas, I've given up on it, and expect the only thing we'll get is the SDK. No way will the SDK mean we're getting MMS, copy and paste, etc.

Perhaps Apple will be get motivated to truly offer real updates to the iPhone if sales aren't meeting goals. They've already played the drop-the-price card.

If a major update came out this place would be in high gear again.

--
Mike

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC

if that were the case EVERY iPhone forum would be as dead as this one.

so let's not turn this into an "Apple sucks" thread.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
if that were the case EVERY iPhone forum would be as dead as this one.
I'm not sure exactly what you meant by that, but if you meant other forums other than the ones hosted here, I think you are right. It seems the numbers are increasing at a few other iPhone forum sites.

I still like this place the most, however. It just doesn't seem all that active at the moment.

--
Mike

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
i too miss the good ol' days where there would always be a new comment after i had just posted one /sigh

it made the day go by so much faster...

and i think it is directly related to the lost excitement of the iPhone. by now most people have seen them and it is rarely ever in the news anymore.

and to be honest, i like the division of the software board. i used to have to filter through all of the stupid questions about hacking/unlocking and it was a hassle.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I'm not sure exactly what you meant by that, but if you meant other forums other than the ones hosted here, I think you are right. It seems the numbers are increasing at a few other iPhone forum sites.

I still like this place the most, however. It just doesn't seem all that active at the moment.

--
Mike

yep, that's what i meant. i don't see how people can say that everyone is bored with talking about iPhone stuff when other sites are still going gangbusters.

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
Seems like the UK was eager for the iPhone when it wasn't available there officially. Now that it is, with pricing, locking, and features that aren't deemed by many there as competitive, it doesn't seem to be selling all that well.

IMO, Apple needs to get a real update out. Alas, I've given up on it, and expect the only thing we'll get is the SDK. No way will the SDK mean we're getting MMS, copy and paste, etc.

Perhaps Apple will be get motivated to truly offer real updates to the iPhone if sales aren't meeting goals. They've already played the drop-the-price card.

If a major update came out this place would be in high gear again.

--
Mike
I agree Mike but I get the feeling that we won't see it in ver 1 of the iPhone. My gut feeling is that Apple will use these features to sell version 2 of the iPhone. I see Steve Jobs in January saying "Take a look at this; The new iPhone version 2 has GPS, Cut and Paste, A2DP, 16 Gig of RAM, and 3G and is priced at $599.99". "For the Version 1 owners we have the new iTunes apps coming for only $19.99 per app."

Garmin seemes to have started following this type of Marketing well.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I agree Mike but I get the feeling that we won't see it in ver 1 of the iPhone. My gut feeling is that Apple will use these features to sell version 2 of the iPhone. I see Steve Jobs in January saying "Take a look at this; The new iPhone version 2 has GPS, Cut and Paste, A2DP, 16 Gig of RAM, and 3G and is priced at $599.99". "For the Version 1 owners we have the new iTunes apps coming for only $19.99 per app."

Garmin seemes to have started following this type of Marketing well.
if iPhone2 comes out of the box with simple software features like c&p, there's no way they won't be implemented on iPhone1.

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
if iPhone2 comes out of the box with simple software features like c&p, there's no way they won't be implemented on iPhone1.
Remember the shock when they dropped the price by $200 and stopped production of the 4 Gig version? Apple has shown us that the typical rules don't apply to them. How many times have you heard Apple say that they plan to add these features?

Garmin has done this with their Nuvi line. A simple firmware upgrade would have given a lot of features to the previous model that the latest and greatest model has. It's only my gut feeling and speculation, Apple will do as Apple wants to do in the end.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I can agree with just about every post in this thread.

I just tried the old URL, and it does indeed still redirect here.

The "most users ever online" statistic is still Sept. 27, when 1.1.1 was released. I remember that madness. You could make a post, hit the refresh button, and there would another post.

- John