Did you guys ever see that before? No sound

jareknyc

Silver
Aug 27, 2007
NYC
This is another strange thing that happen to my other iPad, I can't turn the sound on, when I go to move the slider in settings I can hear the ringer, but other then that I can't hear my keyboard clicks or anything else, games are voice less, and then look at the pic
ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1375046127.632443.jpg

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Try this:
Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings

jareknyc

Silver
Aug 27, 2007
NYC
Done , still the same

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Done , still the same
The problem is likely a dirty dock port. Try cleaning it with a new toothbrush and some compressed air. Apple sometimes uses an exacto knife to scrape inside of it, but I can't recommend doing that since it could damage it if done improperly. I'd start with gentle tools. Let me know if that works.

jareknyc

Silver
Aug 27, 2007
NYC
No look at the pic again, sound actually work only ringtone, when u look at the pic the bar for adjust other sounds is gone, I can't make it louder or lower

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I know. A dirty dock port can cause that volume knob to disappear.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yes, seriously. Debris, dirt or buildup in the dock port can cause the volume slider to disappear like yours has. A lot of people have fixed the problem by cleaning the port.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
The software can discern dirt on the dock port and is programmed to hide the knob on the slider until the dock port is cleaned?

Now that is amazing. Is it just the iPad or can I get this to happen on my iPod?

Sent from my Nexus 4

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The software can discern dirt on the dock port and is programmed to hide the knob on the slider until the dock port is cleaned?

Now that is amazing. Is it just the iPad or can I get this to happen on my iPod?
Yeah. It's really not that amazing. We put men on the moon and brought them back using computers with less processing power than that iPad has. That's amazing.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Yes, seriously. Debris, dirt or buildup in the dock port can cause the volume slider to disappear like yours has. A lot of people have fixed the problem by cleaning the port.
Do you have a reference for this claim?

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Yeah. It's really not that amazing. We put men on the moon and brought them back using computers with less processing power than that iPad has. That's amazing.
I have both a 4th and 5th gen iPod. Is it specific to a connector type or are both able the sense a dirty port?

I think Apple should have it display a "requires cleaning" notice say when the port is at the 80% threshold before hiding the volume access/control. I'd consider updating my 4th gen from iOS 5.x to current for such a feature.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I have both a 4th and 5th gen iPod. Is it specific to a connector type or are both able the sense a dirty port?

I think Apple should have it display a "requires cleaning" notice say when the port is at the 80% threshold before hiding the volume access/control. I'd consider updating my 4th gen from iOS 5.x to current for such a feature.
The volume slider knob can disappear on both models if the port gets dirty enough. It is not a certainty that it will disappear, nor does it have a threshold where it can predict that it can handle 20% more dirt or grime before it will need to be cleaned. I've just seen threads where people said it disappeared and they didn't have audio until after they cleaned the port.