Did you know these things about your contract? O2

Dec 11, 2007
Hey all, I have been having some faults with my iPhone in the UK, O2 wont do anything other than send it away for 4 weeks. Leaving me phoneless. I have had the phone for 2 months and am getting a bit sick of it to be honest. It wont work with my bluetooth. I cant type on it very well and mine keeps crashing. But anyhoo, after a lenghty letter to O2, and a request for them to let me send the phone back and start on my old contract. This is what I learned.

O2 will not allow you to remove the SIM without invalidating your warranty.

O2 will not let you put the sim in another handset

O2 will not let you upgrade after the 18 month contract is up

O2 select customers will lose the select status after signing an O2 contract

O2 will not change your contract to a standard contract if you don't like the iPhone.

O2 will not allow you to port your current number to another contract while the iPhone contract is still active.

I am sure that by law, this is called creating a Monopoly. Surely they cant be allowed to force you to use the contract with the iPhone only. I diddnt know this, and would never have bought the phone if I knew I would not be able to use a different phone with the sim. I change my phone every few months c!

Jan 14, 2008
Hey all, I have been having some faults with my iPhone in the UK, O2 wont do anything other than send it away for 4 weeks. Leaving me phoneless. I have had the phone for 2 months and am getting a bit sick of it to be honest. It wont work with my bluetooth. I cant type on it very well and mine keeps crashing. But anyhoo, after a lenghty letter to O2, and a request for them to let me send the phone back and start on my old contract. This is what I learned.

O2 will not allow you to remove the SIM without invalidating your warranty.

O2 will not let you put the sim in another handset

O2 will not let you upgrade after the 18 month contract is up

O2 select customers will lose the select status after signing an O2 contract

O2 will not change your contract to a standard contract if you don't like the iPhone.

O2 will not allow you to port your current number to another contract while the iPhone contract is still active.

I am sure that by law, this is called creating a Monopoly. Surely they cant be allowed to force you to use the contract with the iPhone only. I diddnt know this, and would never have bought the phone if I knew I would not be able to use a different phone with the sim. I change my phone every few months c!
I really don't understand how O2 can stop us from upgrading at the end of the 18 month contract. Surely we are free to do whatever once the terms of the current contract have ended?

Dec 11, 2007
Well, today, I was told that when the 18 month contract ends, I can either keep paying or end the contract. An upgrade is not an option. Neither can I buy my own phone and keep my number by using the sim card.

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
Well they are trying to protect themselves probably. Apple makes $270 per activation from ATT, I'm sure O2 is paying a high premium too. As a result they want to make sure people activate and stay with them.

Jan 14, 2008
Im sure they will allow us to transfer the number from the iPhone to a different phone once the contract has ended. So long as we stay with O2 and start another contract.