Didn't want to go here but I must......

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Sharunda, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Okay. I need help. I want to know from the experts. I have decided to add a line to my Family plan on AT&T in order to get this new iPhone 5 at a decent price.

There, I've said it. If I see it in print under my name I know I said it and it's a plan. I have no other choice. $399 + $250 + $45.43 tax = $694.43 is a bit steep for me.

I figured an extra $120 a year for the additional line for 2 years $240 is still better than paying $695.

My question to you guys is how does this work? If I order the new iPhone on a new line and get a new phone number. When I receive the iPhone I figure I would just call AT&T and get it switched to my number and put a dummy phone on the new number.

In case there's a problem, I have a story/reason, ready for them. Who has done this? How does it work?

Please enlighten me. This is my last resort plan. Help.

Okay, I've just added the price of the new iPhone to the $240 and I'm actually saving $10 total. PWAH! LOL! Maybe I'll have to weigh my options here a little. O_o Still tell me what your experience is with swapping numbers between phones with AT&T.

2. Apple iAddicted

Apple iAddicted Contributor
    Bronze

I got a sim in my lock box frim adding a line, their real nice about it, the iPhone 5 should take the same micro sim as your current iPhone(if your a 4 or a 4s) activate the new line on the new iPhone then they put your sim in it and go in the conputer and drop the extra sim to a flat 9.99 no data required on the dummy line and no phone needed to place it in. They do it all the time here in my area

Sent from my 32GB iPhone 4s on iOS 5.1.1
    The ONLY thing better than an iPhone is the newer iPhone!

3. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I am actually calling AT&T asking to get my one date moved up

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

No the new iPhone 5 has a smaller sim card then those of the 4,4s

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  5. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

But then you have another useless line and phone, plus an extended contract. If it's about affordability, perhaps waiting later can be an option for you, so you can just buy the phone outright/upgrade for $695 later on and not have to worry about another contract...but I'm sure you're like me and want to be one of the first ones to have one :p

6. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Apple iAddicted This is helpful. I think I understand what you're saying.

I have an iPhone 4S so the sim in it should work with the new iPhone 5 you're saying. That's good.

Activate the new iPhone 5 with the new line when I get it and then pop my sim in the iPhone 5 from my 4S. Then they identify the Sim from the iPhone 5 that I took out in the computer as the $9.99 line.

Okay this seems simple. So When I get the new iPhone I call them and get it going. This will work. I think I did something like this with Verizon a while back.

Thanks again!

The only thing now is preordering the iPhone 5 with the new line. I was reading where I might have to add the line first or something like that. I would think I can just add the line when I preorder the iPhone 5.

7. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Leo Renard Yeah I want the new iPhone when it comes out. I don't want to wait months and still have to pay the higher price. Believe me either I get it or I don't and I wait until next year, but I know me and that is not an option.

8. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

They will not budge it is a matter of days
    Sharunda doesn't the 2nd line need to be on a plan for smart phones?

9. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

imutter Yes I think it does have to be on a plan for smart phones. But they said that the additional line is just $9.99 per month additional. It will share my minutes and I have unlimited so there is no additional anything I think anyway. Except $30 a month I think. Not sure.

What do you mean when you say its a matter of days they will not budge?

10. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I called and just ask if they coukd move the upgrade date from the other line from the October 3rd to September .
    Oh no I have to pay extra if I was getting a phone before that date ! Nothing they will do!
    It's a few days I'd pay per day?

11. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Here is my plan of attack:

1. Per-order iPhone 5 as an additional line on my family plan (AT&T)
    2. When it arrives activate it with the new phone # assigned
    3. Call AT&T and have them swap the iPhone 5 to my main # and put the phone that was on main # to the newly assigned #
    4. Wait 30 days and cancel the new line paying the $325 ETF.. Total cost of new iPhone 5 ends up $199 (assumed iPhone 5 16GB price) + $325 EFT = $524 and I have no new contract..

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

If your family plan has unlimited minutes, then the extra line is $50 per month, not $10. Not including taxes.

Before I wised up, I did this to get an Android phone for free. My extra line was something like $12.50 per month after taxes. Plus the $36 activation fee. I used to be on the 450 minute individual plan, and the 550 minute family plan I had to upgrade to in order to do this trick was about $20 more on top of that, plus tax. So the "free" phone will have ended up costing me roughly $850 when all is said and done. But if you're already on a family plan (and it's not unlimited minutes), then $300something is about how much you can expect to pay over the life of the contract.

Extending your family plan just to save $250 now is not worth the 2 year contract and added trouble. Dare I say you should not be cutting your money that close anyway. I speak from experience...time and time again.

That said, if you still must do this despite all warnings otherwise, they should be able to do the line swapping at the time of purchase (in store), then they can put a dumbphone on the new line so that you don't have to pay for a data plan on it. At least, that's how it went when I bought a phone at Best Buy

When is your full discount eligibility date?

13. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

I have a family talk plan with AT&T with 4 phones which 3 are iPhones. Each has a separate data plan, unlimited texts, & we share minutes with unlimited mobile to mobile. I pay 9.99 for each additional line plus the data plan costs. I have used an upgrade for one line to use on another many times with no issues at all. Not sure if these plans are still available or if they are forcing people to the family share plans that add lines or start new service but as I understand it I am grandfathered in & they won't force me to change if I upgrade. I see no benefit at all with these new family share plans.

• List
  14. jfleming01

jfleming01 Member
    Bronze

I've done this in the past too, and am planning on doing this to get an iPhone5 with my son's upgrade, switching it to my number and switching my iPhone 4 to my wife's number (adding data plan for her, she had a dumbphone). My question is... is preordering out of the question?

• List
  15. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

You can preorder just don't activate it when it arrives. If the sim card is the same you can probably just call & have things swapped around & setup. If they are different you may have to go into a store & get new sim cards. Make sure it's a corporate store.

• List
  16. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

imutter That's messed up. Damn! It's like AT&T has a problem with Apple iPhone customers.

17. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

fury Thanks for your input I appreciate it. U R right! I shouldn't be cutting my money so close. :unsure: I'm pissed and desperate. Two bad things to be in any circumstance.

I'll think long and hard before I make any rash decisions.

AT&T has my full discount eligibility date at May 2013. That is bullocks! :mad:

18. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

raqball
    This right here is a serious plan of attack! U mean businesss! I like your strategy. I hope this works out for you, it sure sounds like an awesome plan. Have you done this before?

19. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Don't forget the 1 month of service and the $36 activation fee.