Difference between 2g and 3G talk?

Jul 10, 2008
is there a difference between 2g talk and 3g talk? i noticed that 2g can get 10 hours battery life...and 3g talk only get 5 hours battery life...?

wouldn't it be better to use 2g talk just to get more battery life? is 3g like hd talk or something?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Just takes more battery juice to load that data so fast. If you're not going to be using data and voice at the same time, you may as well turn 3G off just to save battery life.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
is there a difference between 2g talk and 3g talk? i noticed that 2g can get 10 hours battery life...and 3g talk only get 5 hours battery life...?

wouldn't it be better to use 2g talk just to get more battery life? is 3g like hd talk or something?
3G is a network upgrade over 2G when it comes to data. It's like 2G being dial up and 3G being broadband, though not that extreme. Voice should sound about the same, unless they allocated more bandwidth to voice streaming than the usual network does, which is highly doubtful.

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
so when not using the phone at all, it would be smart to switch 3g off? or does that not make a difference?

if i wont be using data/interent for a few hours, but still may be on the phone, i should turn off 3g?

iphone1027

Bronze
Jul 2, 2008
so when not using the phone at all, it would be smart to switch 3g off? or does that not make a difference?

if i wont be using data/interent for a few hours, but still may be on the phone, i should turn off 3g?
You shouldn't notice anything different in voice transmission with 2G vs 3G. The only thing you should notice is the data speeds. 3G is a packet-based data which provides several advantages over the existing circuit-switched techniques used for carrying mobile voice. It allows higher call volumes,etc.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California

That's what I do, currently, with Bluetooth and it does seem to improve my battery life significantly. I'll see how it goes with the 3G. Will definitely turn it off when I leave work (and the 3G network in that town), but will give it a try during the workday before I decide to only turn it on as-needed. It'd be nice to be able to quickly pop on and pull up a website or check my personal email without having to deal with EDGE speeds or adjusting the settings to turn on 3G.

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
You shouldn't notice anything different in voice transmission with 2G vs 3G. The only thing you should notice is the data speeds. 3G is a packet-based data which provides several advantages over the existing circuit-switched techniques used for carrying mobile voice. It allows higher call volumes,etc.
thanks. im assuming i wouldn't notice a difference in texting either, considering on a normal network its pretty much instant. but maybe im wrong?

thanks kisstine. do you, or anyone else, have any idea how easy/quick it is to switch 3g on and off? like u said, i don't wanna have to fool around with settings every time i wanna check 1 website.

iphone1027

Bronze
Jul 2, 2008
thanks. im assuming i wouldn't notice a difference in texting either, considering on a normal network its pretty much instant. but maybe im wrong?

thanks kisstine. do you, or anyone else, have any idea how easy/quick it is to switch 3g on and off? like u said, i don't wanna have to fool around with settings every time i wanna check 1 website.
You will not notice a difference in texting either. I believe switching 3G to 2G is simply done by going into the SETTINGS>GENERAL>band switch

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
You will not notice a difference in texting either. I believe switching 3G to 2G is simply done by going into the SETTINGS>GENERAL>band switch
ty. very helpful info. sounds easy enough to switch it around if it helps the battery life.

iphone1027

Bronze
Jul 2, 2008
ty. very helpful info. sounds easy enough to switch it around if it helps the battery life.
No problem. Yes it seems like it will be easy. And if you are going to only be browsing 1 website, might as well keep it on 2G. If you were going to be browsing for a while, checking email, etc. Then I would keep it on 3G. Im assuming this will be your first 3G phone?

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
No problem. Yes it seems like it will be easy. And if you are going to only be browsing 1 website, might as well keep it on 2G. If you were going to be browsing for a while, checking email, etc. Then I would keep it on 3G. Im assuming this will be your first 3G phone?
yep. in fact my first smartphone. for the past...4 years at least, ive had a couple razr's and now a slvr.

ive used friends smartphones before (and i used to sell them) but im still kinda new to them :)

iphone1027

Bronze
Jul 2, 2008
yep. in fact my first smartphone. for the past...4 years at least, ive had a couple razr's and now a slvr.

ive used friends smartphones before (and i used to sell them) but im still kinda new to them :)
Hmm, thats the reason why some are very skeptical about battery life on 3G etc. I'll give you some info on that. On my TILT (which has WiFi, GPS, 3G speed,Bluetooth) it is very easy to drain your battery before lunch time. IF... you leave all your radios on. What you have to do is turn off WiFi when not in use, turn off BT when not in use, and only use GPS when needed. I am literally connected to 3G ALL DAY on my TILT, it never disconnects and I have enough batery to last me throughout the day. You just have to learn when to use what radio.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado

thats is a really good point

iphone1027

Bronze
Jul 2, 2008
thats is a really good point
Originally Posted by soccerb12ku
1.is there a difference between 2g talk and 3g talk? 2.i noticed that 2g can get 10 hours battery life...and 3g talk only get 5 hours battery life...?

3.wouldn't it be better to use 2g talk just to get more battery life? 4.is 3g like hd talk or something?

1.No there isn't
2. Yes, 2G radio will have less power consumption vs the 3G radio
3. Yes, but you cant surf the net while talking
4. No 3G is not like clearer audio. Like I stated previously, "The only thing you should notice is the data speeds. 3G is a packet-based data which provides several advantages over the existing circuit-switched techniques used for carrying mobile voice. It allows higher call volumes,etc."

Last edited by a moderator:

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
Originally Posted by soccerb12ku
1.is there a difference between 2g talk and 3g talk? 2.i noticed that 2g can get 10 hours battery life...and 3g talk only get 5 hours battery life...?

3.wouldn't it be better to use 2g talk just to get more battery life? 4.is 3g like hd talk or something?

1.No there isn't
2. Yes, 2G radio will have less power consumption vs the 3G radio
3. Yes, but you cant surf the net while talking
4. No 3G is not like clearer audio. Like I stated previously, "The only thing you should notice is the data speeds. 3G is a packet-based data which provides several advantages over the existing circuit-switched techniques used for carrying mobile voice. It allows higher call volumes,etc."
wow i didn't know about any of that

Last edited by a moderator:

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
so yes, during a long phone call (if you know it will be) turn off 3g and you will save batter life

Oct 29, 2009
no difference really

I have both the iPhone 2g 8 gig and 3g White 16 gig.. There is no real difference just a 200.00 price difference that they charge for the 3g due to it's speed 3g faster if you decide to go through AT&T.. I have T-mobile, and both of my phones are unlocked... I could not deal with AT&Ts over priced plans... The 2g and 3g just have minor differences, they say the color quality is better on the 3g but I really don't see that difference, the Wi-Fi on the 2g is 10x better then my 3g.... Besides, they're both bad ass phones! Apple really makes great products... If you have any questions please contact me msoler29@yahoo.com
You all take care and have a good one.