Difference between V1 and 3G?

Jun 16, 2008
Clermont, Florida
So is the only difference between V1 and 3G going to be GPS and 3G speed once the V2 software comes out? If so i think i might go on ebay and get a V1 sense its cheaper per month and the data plan comes with 200 txts right?

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
the V2 also has dramatically improved audio and the black or white plastic back.

Also, I'm not sure but there might not be the iPhone v1 plan anymore unless you already have it.

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
Also, the v1 has a two year contract for that internet, and I am kind of thinking that 2 years from the original date of the first iPhone release, that the 20 buck internet will be gone.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
These are the major differences - but there are others. There is, of course, the new design. The back of the iPhone is either white or black, and is rounded. The iPhone 3G also has better battery life and better audio than the original iPhone.

- John

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Also, the v1 has a two year contract for that internet, and I am kind of thinking that 2 years from the original date of the first iPhone release, that the 20 buck internet will be gone.
The $20/month iPhone data plans will stay on your account as long as you keep it current. IF you drop and try to start it after 7/11, then it won't be available. Discontinued plans and price points don't disappear.

Jun 16, 2008
Clermont, Florida
The $20/month iPhone data plans will stay on your account as long as you keep it current. IF you drop and try to start it after 7/11, then it won't be available. Discontinued plans and price points don't disappear.
So if i get a V1 and activate it before 7/11 i should be able to get the $20 a month data with txt plan?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
So if i get a V1 and activate it before 7/11 i should be able to get the $20 a month data with txt plan?
Yes. If you do it after 7/11, I don't think it will be available. After 7/11 the only plans will be $30/month and we don't even know about text messages for sure yet. They might cost an extra $5/month for 200. We should know any day now.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
The iPhone 3G also has better battery life and better audio than the original iPhone.
Until someone has a phone in their hands, Apple's claims are subjective. There's also reason to believe the original iPhone may inherit longer battery life (and subjectively "better audio", whatever that means...) with the 2.0 software.

ColsTiger said:
If you do it after 7/11, I don't think it will be available.
Why not? When you activate a v1 phone, Apple still gets a portion of AT&T's revenue sharing until that contract is over. There's gotta be some phones in the pipeline that have never been activated yet, let alone opened up. AFAIK, Apple is still privy to those contracts.

Jun 16, 2008
Clermont, Florida
Well from what you guys are saying a V1 might be the way to go, i don't need GPS and i could deal with EDGE speeds when not around WIFI. And the cheaper bill would be sweet too.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Well from what you guys are saying a V1 might be the way to go, i don't need GPS and i could deal with EDGE speeds when not around WIFI. And the cheaper bill would be sweet too.
The only thing about going with v1 right now is that you'll have to pay $399 for the 8GB and $499 for the 16GB. But, over the course of two years you'll see the savings in the cheaper bill.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
I would get the new phone if you have access to 3G service. You're just going to get a better experience overall imo.

v1 is kind of like paying for (almost) broadband internet but only getting dialup speeds. Sometimes I wish EDGE was faster so I don't pull out the iPhone as much as I could when it takes a minute or more to pull up a page. It's kind of like the chicken and the egg... you don't use it because you don't have it (or it's too slow). You might get more value out of 3G even though it's (a little more) expensive overall because you'll use it more.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Doesn't the v1 have a proximity sensor? I thought they just added one more on the 3G...
Exactly. One on v1, a second one added to the 3G.

Don't forget the flush jack. :laugh2: