difference between WinSCP and iPhoneBrowser?

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
from a basic standpoint, what's the difference between these two programs? from what i can tell, iPhoneBrowser is easier to use, so what do people use WinSCP for?

thanks in advance.

eTEK

Bronze
Oct 7, 2007
WinSCP you don't need to have your iPhone connected to your computer via usb.
As long as your phone is on a wireless connection you can sync wirelessly.

iPhonebrowser needs to be connected

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
WinSCP you don't need to have your iPhone connected to your computer via usb.
As long as your phone is on a wireless connection you can sync wirelessly.

iPhonebrowser needs to be connected
thank you. that helps!

what are people syncing over WinSCP?

eTEK

Bronze
Oct 7, 2007
yeah like if you decide you would wnat to jailbreak your iPhone and you want to install a gameboy advanced emulator on your phone you would use winscp to add games on your phone.

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
yeah like if you decide you would wnat to jailbreak your iPhone and you want to install a gameboy advanced emulator on your phone you would use winscp to add games on your phone.
you couldn't do it on iPhoneBrowser?

i'm looking to do a NES or SNES emulator next.

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
i can rarely get WinSCP to work. any ideas why? i have SSH on, but i always get the error message: Network error: Connection refused.

i have all the settings correct, i've been in before. what gives?

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
i can rarely get WinSCP to work. any ideas why? i have SSH on, but i always get the error message: Network error: Connection refused.

i have all the settings correct, i've been in before. what gives?
I started having this problem after doing the new ZiPhone jailbreak too. It would work initially, but after turning off SSH and then trying SSH again later, I'd get a network error. I'd have to restart my phone in order for the connection to work again. I think I figured out the problem though: I was using Services to toggle my SSH on/off. After installing and using BossPrefs instead, I haven't had a problem since.

P.S. Another advantage of using WinSCP over iBrick or iPhonebrowser is that you can easily set file permissions and run command lines. This is particularly useful if you need to install apps manually.

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
I started having this problem after doing the new ZiPhone jailbreak too. It would work initially, but after turning off SSH and then trying SSH again later, I'd get a network error. I'd have to restart my phone in order for the connection to work again. I think I figured out the problem though: I was using Services to toggle my SSH on/off. After installing and using BossPrefs instead, I haven't had a problem since.
yeah, i've turned off/on SSH via Services.

i'll try the BossPrefs thing. thank you.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
from a basic standpoint, what's the difference between these two programs? from what i can tell, iPhoneBrowser is easier to use, so what do people use WinSCP for?

thanks in advance.
I use both. But I mainly use iPhoneBrowser/iBrickr when SSH is off for some reason and I need to get into my iPhone (used to get a lot of lockups under 1.1.2, when installing apps, that could only be corrected by going in via SSH/iBrickr).

WinSCP/PuTTY allow anything to be done on the iPhone, whereas iPhoneBrowser is much more limited: can't set permissions, can't execute apps, can't use a command line, can't edit plists in-place, etc. As an example I use SSH to take screenshots on my iPhone (snap, snap2camera, etc).

--
Mike

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
ah, i gotcha. thanks again for all your help.

i'm kinda scared to jailbreak again. :mad: right now i'm back on 1.1.3 stock.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I also use both. The main difference between the two for me is where I am at the time I need to work on the phone.
If I am at home and connected by WiFi then I use WinSCP because it is more powerful of the two. In that program you can rename folders, bring up command prompts and type commands, etc...
If I am at work where I do not have access to WiFi I use iPhoneBrowser. I like the simple interface and ability to quickly look at the directory structure or copy files to and from the phone. If there are permissions settings and such that need to be done I just use the term-vt100 program on the phone.

So, in my opinion they both have the same basic functions but iPhoneBrowser is more of a simple task program where WinSCP is much more powerful.

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
thanks for the additional input griffinaz. i'm still kind-of a basic user, but this helps me out!

jailbroke again for the 3rd time now! woo!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I am having the worst time trying to connect with the phone through either Term, winscp, or PuTTY. Connection is always refused.
Anyone have any ideas?

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
I am having the worst time trying to connect with the phone through either Term, winscp, or PuTTY. Connection is always refused.
Anyone have any ideas?
Hawk,
Are you jailbroken on 1.1.3? If so, Services and NetServices are buggy with SSH -- even though it appears to turn on/off SSH, it does not. Use BossPrefs instead to toggle on/off SSH.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Hawk,
Are you jailbroken on 1.1.3? If so, Services and NetServices are buggy with SSH -- even though it appears to turn on/off SSH, it does not. Use BossPrefs instead to toggle on/off SSH.
Yes, jailbroken 1.1.3 from ZiPhone 2.1. I have BossPref's installed, but I cannot connect. Term vt said invalid login (used root@iPhone IP with password "alpine")
Winscp says "Connection Refused".

OMG I am such a DUMBASS. I got it. Out of embarrassment, I keep what I was doing wrong to myself.

brzman1

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
Miami, Fl

P.S. Another advantage of using WinSCP over iBrick or iPhonebrowser is that you can easily set file permissions and run command lines. This is particularly useful if you need to install apps manually.
Question. What are file permissions for? How do i access them? Also, in order to connect to WinScp, you have to shut off the SSH? Do you even need to install SSH? Sorry for the questions; still learning

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
Question. What are file permissions for? How do i access them? Also, in order to connect to WinScp, you have to shut off the SSH? Do you even need to install SSH? Sorry for the questions; still learning
in order to access the iPhone via WinSCP, SSH needs to be ON.

as for file permissions, i have no idea. sorry. i'm learning, too. :laugh2: