Differences of GPS 3G and current iPhone maps?

dinosaur1

Silver
Nov 10, 2007
anyone know the major differences? the current iPhone gives me my current position and gives great directions with live traffic.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The current phone can triangulate your position to within about a square mile... maybe less in best-case-scenarios.

The new phone will have true GPS so it will pinpoint you to within a couple meters. Maybe better with triangulation-assist, which it will also do.

Maps will be the same for both phones, it will just be more accurate in its positioning with the new iPhone.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
The current phone can triangulate your position to within about a square mile... maybe less in best-case-scenarios.

The new phone will have true GPS so it will pinpoint you to within a couple meters. Maybe better with triangulation-assist, which it will also do.

Maps will be the same for both phones, it will just be more accurate in its positioning with the new iPhone.
I think it gets closer than a couple meters. It uses GPS, and the cell phone signal or something like that, and if it can, wifi.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
There are a few interface changes that have pointed out (I'll look for them) and of course as stated above, it has real GPS, so a moving pulsating dot constantly shows your present location.

- John

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I like how it goes in like the first iPhone when you click on the find me button thing, and then it bounces a little bit and then goes in close. I thought that was a neat little animation.